Cylinder cleaning (not for oxygen): Vinegar: The effect of 5% acetic acid on o-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Subcooled

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a little "accident" while standing ten inches deep (no fins) in the bottom sediment of the local river and repairing the rudder of large boat.

As a result, I now have some unidentified orange goo in one of my cylinders and it gives a burnt rubber taste to the breathing air.
Ample rinsing with hot water did not completely remove it. And no, it is not rust. It's one week old and it smells.

After one hour of hot water treatment I decided to apply vinegar. Lots of it. The 7L steel cylinder is now filled with 3 - 5% vinegar solution (made from ethanol, not from white wine) and it does foam a little bit.

QUESTION: does vinegar / 5% acetic acid hurt a cylinder valve? Should I replace the valve o-rings and the white plastic sealing surface?
- acetic acid is a weak acid but how much does a 5% solution of it affect o-rings etc. The ordinary o-rings and the oxygen compatible ones?

_______
ps. this is a dedicated AIR cylinder. No nitrox. No oxygen. I believe that vinegar might leave a residue that is not oxygen clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom