Cylinder accidently completely emptied. Problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max Speed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
One of the folks at my office just accidently opened the valve on one of my cylinders in the storage room, panicked and let it empty itself. My daughter heard the noise and went to investigate and found the room "full of fog" with the perp standing next to the cylinder and still talking on her cell phone. Presumably the "fog" was condensation caused by expanding gas dropping the temperature.

Can this cause moisture issues in the tank or can I just have it filled?

I arrived about half an hour later and closed the valve. (The initial call to me said the valve "blew off"!)

Sent from my SPH-P100 using Tapatalk

I would not worry about it. The "never let a tank get empty" is one of those half truths that divers worry too much about. The problem with letting a tank get empty is when you leave it empty AND leave the valve open for an extended time. Over time the tank will breath as it warms and cools allowing possibly moist air in and condensation may occur. If the valve is closed in a short time after it empties, moist air can't get in so there is no condensation problem.

Look at it this way - Partial Pressure fillers crack the valve and empty the tank. A few minutes won't hurt anything.

On the other hand, how close are you to needing a vis? As jar said, piece of mind is a few bucks.

Is is an aluminum or steel cylinder? Is the storage room inside or outside (heated or not)?

If it was my cylinder?
Steel cylinder + outside = get it checked for internal condensation and rust
Anything else = keep the valve closed, refill it ASAP

Look at it this way - Partial Pressure fillers crack the valve and empty the tank. A few minutes won't hurt anything.

On the other hand, how close are you to needing a vis? As jar said, piece of mind is a few bucks.

Just get a vis for the lousy $10 for some peace of mind

Or you can save the $10 (maybe), pull the valve off and take a peek. Do you see any water? If so, come back and we can talk about how to dry it out.

The problem is that some shops may insist on charging you for another vis if you bring in and empty tank. There are ways to get a little pressure into the tank but that is another discussion.

the problem is that some shops may insist on charging you for another vis if you bring in and empty tank. There are ways to get a little pressure into the tank but that is another discussion.

:d

sneaky!

The amount of time the valve is left open and the temperature in which the tank is and or was moved into is also relevant. Condensation can occur inside. I had the same thing happen and felt more comfortable telling the shop and agreeing to a vis on my steel tank.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom