Cutting excess off wetsuit legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marie13

Great Lakes Mermaid
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I ordered a 5mm for my full cave class in MX in August. Fits fine on top, but the legs are much too long. I need to cut off about 6”. I have tailor’s chalk coming from Amazon so I can easily mark what I have to cut off while wearing it. Going to cut with the shears I dive with. They worked well when I cut a bib off a hood.

Do I need to seal the raw edge with Aquaseal or anything similar?

You need to reinforce the seem so it does not split open, just stich on some stretchy fabric as reinforcement.

Isn't the well known, drysuit repair shop, Dive Right in Scuba, your LDS?
Pay the professionals to do it flawlessly! Then, you will have no regrets.
1655670761214.png

My mistake. Have you talked to your LDS about doing the alteration? 🪡

If you want it to look neat and tidy, you should consider professional alteration, IMHO.

I'd aquaseal and sew a tape covering over the exposed edge. Helps to prevent fraying and wear.

And of course "measure twice and cut once" or even leave it an inch long the first cut and then retry it on.

but the legs are much too long. I need to cut off about 6”.

Is it as simple as just cutting 6" off the bottom of the leg? If so, why send it back unless it is a custom suit? You can cut it off yourself and add a dab of wetsuit cement, Aquaseal, or Shoe Goo to keep the stitching from unraveling. Binding on the edges really isn't necessary.

Many suits are cut with a slight bend at the knee and varying width for the calf to the ankle. Is that an issue in this case?

BTW, it is best to have someone mark it for you since bending over contorts the suit.

I have tailor’s chalk coming from Amazon so I can easily mark what I have to cut off while wearing it.

It might be hard for tailor's caulk to survive shipping. Can you turn it inside out and mark it with a white or gray Sharpie?

Is it as simple as just cutting 6" off the bottom of the leg? If so, why send it back unless it is a custom suit? You can cut it off yourself and add a dab of wetsuit cement, Aquaseal, or Shoe Goo to keep the stitching from unraveling. Binding on the edges really isn't necessary.

Many suits are cut with a slight bend at the knee and varying width for the calf to the ankle. Is that an issue in this case?

BTW, it is best to have someone mark it for you since bending over contorts the suit.

It might be hard for tailor's caulk to survive shipping. Can you turn it inside out and mark it with a white or gray Sharpie?

Why would I send it back? All it needs is 6” cut off the legs. There are no zippers. It’s a Henderson stock suit. Not sure on the tapering of the leg. Have to do it by myself.

I’m a hard fit so my only option is to chop.

Good question. I’ve been thinking of doing the same with cutting the hood off of a 7mil hooded vest because I feel so constricted. I‘d love to be able to wear the vest portion with another hood I have.

See if you can find someone in your area that makes, repairs, or tailors wetsuits. If not, there are numerous people mentioned in various threads that can solve your problem professionally, and you will wind up with a much better, more durable alteration. I have used Terrapin Wetsuits to alter three Bare wetsuits, two of which required major revisions, and was extremely happy with the result. Contact Chris at Terrapin Wetsuits (Custom Wetsuits - Handmade Wetsuits Just for You | Terrapin Wetsuits) and she will take very good care of you and your wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom