Cutting excess off wetsuit legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Would not work. In addition, it looks absolutely ridiculous. Totally violates the “look cool underwater” rule. 🤣
Well then cut away and like John pointed out if anything is used neoprene glue will work better, aquaseal can be very uncomfortable next to bare skin.

leave the suit behind after the class.

I doubt it. I always dive dry.
Why not use your drysuit in Mexico? I use a thin fleece undergarment, probably similar in weight to a Xerotherm.

Topside, August in Mexico will suck no matter what. I’m going in December.

Why not use your drysuit in Mexico? I use a thin fleece undergarment, probably similar in weight to a Xerotherm.

Topside, August in Mexico will suck no matter what. I’m going in December.

It would mean more to haul with me and I’ve already got enough. I’d have to worry about She-P. I’ve also got CCR training coming up pretty soon (month or so) after I get back from MX. If the airline damaged my drysuit, I am out of the water until my drysuit is fixed. DUI was pretty backlogged a few months ago when a friend sent a suit in for repair. So a major repair could be months. That screws up WI cave diving season, too (begins in November). I see what the airlines do to cargo from my job. I’m not letting them anywhere near my $4100 pretty purple drysuit.

As it is, I’m having to wait six months to get my CCR as they’re backed up with orders (damn you, Sidewinders!) and some component shortages. I’m not letting anything in my control delay things.

I understand. A couple of times I have taken my drysuit as my carry-on out of that concern. As for the She-P, my wife would probably say join the sisterhood.

I understand. A couple of times I have taken my drysuit as my carry-on out of that concern. As for the She-P, my wife would probably say join the sisterhood.

I have a She-P, but placement is a very exact thing and not always successful. One more thing to worry about.

One thing I would mention is get the sharpest scissors or better yet razor to cut. Tough cutting material will deflect the direction of cut, rather than allow you to cut straight. Go slow and keep checking your cut is on the line.

leave the suit behind after the class.

Almost forgot I’ll need the wetsuit for the pool session for CCR training.

@Marie13 Once again, I highly recommend you call Chris at Terrapin Wetsuits before trying to attack a DIY alteration project. She is a straight shooter, and will advise you whether or not she thinks your DIY project will work for your needs. If you send her some photos of the wetsuit legs and your legs, she can better advise you. I have a 5mm Bare Reactive that has factory installed ankle zippers, but I wanted to install an additional zipper in the inside leg cuff section to make it easier to get over my very wide and high instep feet when removing the wetsuit. She could have done that and made some money, but instead advised me to just cut the inner neoprene cuff and reinforce the upper juncture. In addition, I just looked at all four of my Bare suits to see what would likely happen if I was in your situation, and wanted to cut off six inches in length. I immediately saw that removing six inches in length would also require a tapering of the remaining leg portion to provide the proper fit where the new ankle length would be. A taper alteration, if needed, is going to be a lot more tricky than just cutting off the leg length, and I am sure you would like to get the best fit possible on any alterations. Make the call, and give yourself some peace of mind.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom