Cutting excess off wetsuit legs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Out of curiosity, what would an LDS do that's different than what has been suggested (with aqua seal / cement etc)? Not trying to be dense, I've heard good things about the custom wetsuit alternation shops mentioned and they'd make the finish look much nicer, but this seems like a simple DIY operation.

A typical 5 mm suit is not that expensive, so a little diy is not that dangerous. The first thing to realize is that if you really have to chop off 6 inches, you are going to end up with very loose, floppy and leaky ankles and presumably wrists. You may have to make longitudinal cut and reduce the circumference of the ankle and wrist.

So my advice is to cut of 2-3 inches and see how a few wrinkles in the legs feel. You may even be able to fold the extra cuff length over the outside and be done with it. This will help to keep the cuff a little tighter and reduce pumping of water🚨

If you can avoid making longitudinal cuts you will also avoid reducing the structural ntegrity of the suit. I’ve done this a bunch.

You definitely want to buy a tube of wetsuit glue to tack down any threads that you cut and if you make longitudinal tapering cuts then you need glue to reconstruct. Another cheap and easy thing to do is buy a foot or two of iron on seam tape and iron on over any cut or reconstructed seams.

I sent my Deep6 3mm suit to Terrapin Wetsuits in Texas to have the arms and legs shortened, thinking something needed to be done to the ends—like a reinforced hem or whatever. I was disappointed to find all they did was cut them off. In hindsight, I could have done that myself. At least they didn’t charge more than a few dollars per cut.

I don’t like the result. Although the lengths are now correct, the diameters at the ends are too large, and they no longer seal my wrists and ankles well.

A typical 5 mm suit is not that expensive, so a little diy is not that dangerous. The first thing to realize is that if you really have to chop off 6 inches, you are going to end up with very loose, floppy and leaky ankles and presumably wrists. You may have to make longitudinal cut and reduce the circumference of the ankle and wrist.

So my advice is to cut of 2-3 inches and see how a few wrinkles in the legs feel. You may even be able to fold the extra cuff length over the outside and be done with it. This will help to keep the cuff a little tighter and reduce pumping of water🚨

If you can avoid making longitudinal cuts you will also avoid reducing the structural ntegrity of the suit. I’ve done this a bunch.

You definitely want to buy a tube of wetsuit glue to tack down any threads that you cut and if you make longitudinal tapering cuts then you need glue to reconstruct. Another cheap and easy thing to do is buy a foot or two of iron on seam tape and iron on over any cut or reconstructed seams.

Wrists don’t need to be done. Arms are just a bit too long and I can easily fold the wrists back. Thanks for the tips. I’ll cut a bit off the legs first and see how it goes.

After working with some glue and repairs I firmly believe anyone can do it.

@Marie13 you can do this. The only difference between your job and theirs will possibly be aesthetics, but both will function the same.

Personally I would measure twice, cut slow, aquaseal what needs it and then aquaseal some tape on top to give it a nice finished look.

I would also use something to clean the cut portion and seams with so the glue sticks better, but it's not really needed with neoprene. The neo will suck up the glue.

Use painterstape to wrap around the leg and a plastic cover or old towel so you don't get any adhesive on the suit. I have a thread on here about installing a P valve and gluing rings on my neo suit. Same concept, can give you some ideas.

Good luck. Lots of youtube videos out there.

Both have pics;

Short people problems :wink: not an issue I’ve ever had to face but have you tried rolling them in or out?

if I were in that position I imagine I would just cut it and see if I need to follow up to deal with and issue.

Short people problems :wink: not an issue I’ve ever had to face but have you tried rolling them in or out?

if I were in that position I imagine I would just cut it and see if I need to follow up to deal with and issue.

Yes I did roll the legs up. Most of my calves are covered by a double layer of neoprene. 🤦‍♀️

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom