Cutting an Ice Entrance...Isosceles.Acute,or Obtuse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

But then you can't drive your pickup truck out to the wreck site.

DC

They offer a modal of one of these as a pickup too! IJS

:wink:

Petunia once said something like, "when you have to carve through the surface of the water with a sharp instrument in order to dive, you are ignoring god's Keep Out sign"

But then you can't drive your pickup truck out to the wreck site.

DC

That doesn't always work out.

truck-ice-fishing.jpg

We cut ours into 3 pieces, yank it out with this crazy scissor grabber that my LDS owner has, and use them to sit on while you kit up. Then toss them back in afterwards, and shovel snow into the gaps. By the next day the hole will be sealed up. We also put anything we can find all around the hole so no one goes walking over it before it freezes.

P.S. one more thumbs up for Jax' new avatar.

I have always pushed the cut pieces down under the ice. I have never had any problem with it interfering with the lines - probably because I always use large diameter line.

I no longer use a chain saw. I find that it is easier, faster and doesen't leave oil on the water when you use a hand operated ice saw. You can find them in antique stores in areas around lakes that were once harvested for ice. They really work well!

We cut equalateral triangle, jam it under the ice. We bring folding chairs to sit on, so our butts dont get cold.:D We also have a reverse hook pole to make sure line doesnt snag on triangle.

We do an equilateral triangle, we use an auger with a bit that is the same width as an AL80, makes a nice easy entrance to slide the tank into until the bubbles wear the edges down a bit.

We pull the ice out. We typically have around 30" of ice around here this time of year. This year its' been cold so it's a little thicker.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom