Cutting an Ice Entrance...Isosceles.Acute,or Obtuse

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, just Wow! I admire you guys for your tenacity and dedication! :rofl3:

Not a good idea about shoving ice under the hole. Two reasons 9 years ago an extemely talented instructor was drowned by his student when he went under to untangle the line from a block they had pushed under and the line became entangled. Double funeral was the outcome.

Second if you pull the blocks out they can be replaced into the hole, This adds safety to people using the lake for other recreational activities with out a open or thin ice scenario. Snowmobiling ice fishing, pets running around on the lake. The blocks refreeze giving a safety margin to somebody that inadvertently ventures to that area. More work removing the ice overall is safety increased.

Not a good idea about shoving ice under the hole. Two reasons 9 years ago an extemely talented instructor was drowned by his student when he went under to untangle the line from a block they had pushed under and the line became entangled. Double funeral was the outcome.

Second if you pull the blocks out they can be replaced into the hole, This adds safety to people using the lake for other recreational activities with out a open or thin ice scenario. Snowmobiling ice fishing, pets running around on the lake. The blocks refreeze giving a safety margin to somebody that inadvertently ventures to that area. More work removing the ice overall is safety increased.

I agree with both of these. When we repack our hole we go find a bunch of big sticks and pack those in besides the blocks, we shovel snow in to the hole to help it re-ice, and we wrap some police tape around it so folks won't accidentally fall into the hole while it's re-freezing.

Very sad . . . Sorry for my laughter, earlier.

That is unfortunate, but it's not really a good argument for pulling the block out.

If it became so entangled that you couldn't undo it, your safety diver who should be sitting geared up next to the hole with a full tank of air can drop in, get the line attached to the diver and give it to the tender. After obtaining what is now a clear line to the diver you could cut off the tangle.

Plus, if I went in to clear it and became do tangled that it became life threatening, I'd likely just cut off the line and move to the hole that is no more than 3 feet away.

Ad to closing the hole, when you get done, just pull the block back over. Sometimes it takes a smack or two to get it loose and it usually shrinks a little, but it still fills the hole pretty good. Pack in some snow and a makeshift flag or something to mark it and you are good to go.

A great use for the old christmas tree if you still get one. Use it as a marker. Most people on the ice around here know it means there is/was a hole there from ice fishing or divers.

Out of curiosity, after you stick the blocks of ice back in, how long does it take to refreeze to what strength? (Feel free to specify typical air temperature.) If the surface markers get lost or removed, how long is it until it's safe to step on, or drive across? I'd assume packing snow between the cracks might make the joints weaker, since ice formed from snow mixed with water is usually not as strong as pure ice, and snow on top of water usually provides some insulation and slows down the freezing of water in cracks underneath.

usually can walk across our refilled holes by next morning
...unless it gets unseasonably warm!!!!
we mark off hole with rod and caution tape if using the next day
ive walked over it the next day without it being filled back in with nice new ice on it
i use pamolive dish soap in the chainsaw for lube so no oil film-doesnt freeze as easy as ivory..
big ice tongs make pulling blocks super easy and fast!!
prep time for hole is about a half hour
have fun
yaeg

Back
Top Bottom