Custom wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trash_collector once bubbled...
Diving also just doesn't seem right without the smell of Neoprene either.

So get a neoprene drysuit, if it's that important to you. :wink:

I tried out a dry suit, but I just didn't care too much for it

Define "tried out." Did you take a course and have someone properly explain how to use the thing or did you just borrow someone's suit and "give it a whirl?"

I would defenitely use a dry suit in those temperatures. If you are out to save money, try a Mares Isotherm semidry with a dry suit zipper. Since almost no water enters the suit, a custom fit is not really required. You would then save some money compared to a custom wet suit.

But as I said. Get a dry suit instead.

Sincerely

Anders

Never had any interest in diving dry myself (at least not until I hit Antarctica!).

If I hit cold water ( < 50 F), I'm usually toasty in my M&B custom 7mm. They are located in Long Beach, CA. I've heard good things about JMJ too.

Dr. Bill

drbill once bubbled...
Dive dry? Why?

50 degrees is pretty warm. Next time you hit a thermocline < 40 degrees, you may not be so toasty. Spend an hour in 34 degree water and you'll understand why dry is the way to go.

It really all depends on your body makeup. If you've got lots of built-in insulation, you may be fine in a wetsuit. If you're like me and are skin and bones, below 50 you may freeze in a wetsuit. I can dive with a 5mm core warmer and 7mm full suit for about an hour in 52 degree water...much below that and I am shivering.

Our point here is that for the cost of a custom wetsuit, you could likely buy an inexpensive drysuit and be all the better off for it.

If I were going to be routinely diving in cold water, a dry suit is the only way to go. Otherwise, I would get a good custom wetsuit from either Aquaflite or Liquid Fit. Also, Henderson will alter their suits to fit.

Mark Kettenhoffen Custom Wetsuits!
This is who made my current wetsuit for those cool California dives 60 degrees F or above. I much perfer a drysuit for extended cold water dives below 60 degrees F. All it takes is money!

I got my custom wetsuit at Otter Bay in Monterey. It fits great and works well, although I haven't used it below 47 degrees yet.

They also make booties, but not gloves.

It does have their logo, but it is not obnoxious. You can always ask Cricket ad Jeff (the proprietors) about omitting the logo.

I know that is not the most convenient for you from So Cal, but they are very well respected in the area.

A friend had one made by Heat Wave in Santa Cruz, but they are related to the people at Otter Bay.

Hi Folks...

I was just wondering if anyone could recommend an online site or dealer that could make a custom wetsuit for someone who is 6'3" & 290 lbs...preferably a 1 or 1.5 mm suit. I haven't had much luck finding anything in my size with the "normal" size ranges...so I'm assuming that I'll need to get a custom one done.

Thanks...

Kawika

May I suggest that you be careful with whom you choose?

It is my opinion that going through a local dive shop who can perform the measurements (and thus be responsible for them being wrong) is much better than taking it on yourself.

I know of a few custom shops in Monterey, but I can't recall their names right off, and haven't dealt with them personally...I'll PM you with their info when I get it.

Back
Top Bottom