Custom wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in my Henderson 7mm Goldcore 2-pc Core Warmer Combo in 39-50 degree water, and it has done a fantastic job as far as keeping me warm. My husband has the same and we are both exceptionally pleased. The real test will be June 22nd when I test it in Lake Michigan.

According to their web site, Henderson does custom suits as well. I bought mine off the rack then was fortunate enough to have someone in my area who was able to alter it for me and the results are wonderful.

Just another consideration for you.

Julie

Hi everyone,

I am thinking to invest in a custom 7mm one-piece wetsuit. So far in my area (San Diego) I have found two options. I would like opinions as to which is better.

The first is a jmj wetsuit that is custom tailored. They seem to use good materials and the shop that sells them has a professional sales staff. They offer options like titanium skin. The suit is like a custom version of a commericial suit. It just comes in the standard black or blue for the most part. The neophrene seemed like a dense, stretchy type when I felt it.

The second option is a small shop that makes custom suits for surfers and divers. There is a woman running the shop that makes everything herself. That shop has been in business for over 50 years (it is called Surf 'n Sea) and from what I gather she gets most of her business from recommendations. She doesn't use any stitching, it is all glue and she guarantees everything she sells. There are a lot more options for style from her and she claims to use good quality material.

Both offer a custom fit and are about the same price. What do you think?

Thanks in advance.
Raposa

Ask around at various dive shops to see if anyone has gotten suits from these two operations. Follow up with them & find out the pros & cons from these customers.

That is really the only way to find out how good a product each mfg makes.

~SubMariner~

kittenhoffin ( sp) make custom diving wet suits. My instructor uses one in Orange County.

if you need some contact info i could call and ask him, let me know

Andy

Since 1975, Kettenhofen Custom Wetsuits has specialized in quality wetsuits for diving in California waters.

Questions are gladly answered at our California phone number: (714) 997-0148

the above is from there web site, hope it helps

Andy

My best friend and his wife both have JMJ custom cut suits. Off-the-rack suits didn't fit properly for either one. From what I've seen they are of very high quality, and fit perfectly. Both literally keep their respective shapes without the divers. The one thing they both have is trouble getting in and out as the suits are shaped and tight around the body. They both have 7mm suits with 7mm hooded vests, and have little problem with SoCal water temps. They should each have about 120 dives and don't show much wear and (no) tear.

I checked out the JMJ. It looked pretty good. I am not sure if it is better to go with the titanium or not. Surf n sea doesn't offer titanium. I like the idea of supporting a small local custom shop but I want to make sure I get the best quality for the money. I think the JMJ neoprene might have felt denser.

I emailed kettenhofen to check out their prices and offerings. The others are both about $350 ($400 with titanium).

Is that about standard for a custom suit?

What do you think about bonded "leakproof" seams?

I'll keep researching some. I hope to buy the suit in the near future though.

Thank you all for your input.

-Raposa

Does anyone have experience with their custom 2-piece (farmer john & hood) 7mm wetsuits? If so, what do you think of this suit for San Diego diving?

Thanks!
Fox

A couple I know have Kettenhoffer suits and they love them, very well made, skin in with minimal zippers. They also an use Rubatex neoprene which claims to be longer lasting (probably true). I met another diver who was wearing one, they have a distinctive look you can spot one, and he was happy as well.

For San Diego diving you might want to consider a Drysuit, it would depend on you level of cold tolerance. For long or deep diving there my preference would be to dive dry.

Ralph

Back
Top Bottom