Custom wetsuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have had a couple of the Custom Kettenhofen Wetsuits over the years. Farmer Johns with an attached hood jacket. They tended to be expensive but I felt worth the expense. I think with each
suit I had to go thru a couple of fittings but ultimately the suits fit very well. Personally I think they cut the necks of
the attached hoods too large in diameter.

Currently with the flexibility of the modern high quality wetsuits I would go with a stock 7mm backzip single piece suit. Underneath it I would wear a 5 to 7 mm hooded vest which would provide an extra layer of material over the core torso.

Rather then invest in the cost of a custom wetsuit for San Diego diving I would look into a drysuit. My preference would be a DUI TLS 350. If the cost of
drysuit is beyond your reach right now, but the stock wetsuit and save your
funds you would have spent on the custom wetsuit for the eventual drysuit purchase.

The majority of active divers I know in San Diego wear drysuits.

Marc Hall
www.sdue.org
march@gue.com

I just ordered a custom wetsuit from jmjwetsuits (a southern California company). They seem to be of very high quality (they use good neoprene) and also will omit the manufacturer logo if you want.

Fox

I got my custom wetsuit at a place recommended by my LDS in Orange County - I think it was called New Wave. It's a mom-n-pop store, and they were really great to work with. I went in and they measured me and made the suit to fit within a matter of days. I love my suit, too (a 7ml, 1-piece) - I can get into it easily, and it keeps me nice and warm in the 60ish water here. Not sure how it will do in the colder temps, though (the lowest I've been in was 57). It doesn't have any writing on it at all, and I got to pick out the colors I wanted. Plus, the suit and hood together came to $200, so it was comparable for what I would pay off the rack.

I just ordered a 3mm to compliment the 6.5mm that I have been using for the past year from www.aquaflite.com.

Ed guarantees his seams for life, and makes an incredible product. His oceanliner lining makes a suit semi-dry. In fact, I'm ordering the 3mm because I often don't need the 6.5mm. Kevlar kneepads, ankle zippers, etc.

You can buy a standard size or custom fit from him. Reasonable prices. EXCELLENT customer service. Tell him Allen in Dallas sent ya.

(No affiliation, just a satisifed customer.)

DRY suit-not WET suit.

You can get a dry suit for what you would pay for a custom cut wet suit.

I tried out a dry suit, but I just didn't care too much for it -- it's a whole new can of worms that I have no interest in pursuing. For those who like dry suits, thats great. Besides, I like getting wet and I've done quite well just using rental wetsuits for now. Diving also just doesn't seem right without the smell of Neoprene either.

TC

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom