Custom logbook page needs your opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kingsley Zissou

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Greeting All

I've started tackling the task of creating my own log book page. I know this has been done to death, but I had some spare time and the engineer in me can't leave well enough alone. :dork2:

I only have 20 dives logged as of this posting, but I have noticed some shortcomings with the padi pages that I got with my open water materials. I have also started diving with a computer as well which has given me some new data to track (ave depth and SAC) and made parts of the padi pages unneccesary (Multilevel profile) .

Please take a look at the attached pdf and give me your feedback. What would you add or subtract? What would you change or rearrange?

Feel free to be brutal. :)

Attachments

• Kingley Zissou logbook rev 3.pdf
    134.9 KB · Views: 975
In the bottom right, stack the "instructor dm buddy" notation one-atop the other. More space for email addresses or whatever.

If I ever did a dive with "three" species encountered, I'd quit. Instead of a wide "number" column, just head it with a "#" and make it narrow. More room in other columns that way.

I night dive a lot. I record Lunar Phase and Tide movement.

Tank size? Total CuFt

Pre-noting the temp as "F" is redundant and limiting.

Leave some room around thermal protection box for "m.m. notation", some use 5/7, 3/5 (etc) and switch regularly.

Flip flop the top box on the right hand page. The date and dive # will be more readable during a quick search.

I like the spot for email. On the log pages I use now I'll write in a blank space the size of the cylinder and if it is 3AL or 3AA and if I'm diving EAN or regular air.

I had some custom dive logs made at dive-logs.com (I think) great service I just didn't like the paper they were on. One of the features I liked and added was under equipment there was a box that said, usual equipment. If I was diving all my usual gear, I could just check one box instead of several.

Nice job!

Hello again

I have not forgotten this project. :wink:

I have been swamped at work all winter. I have been tweaking the pages little by little over the last few months as time allows. I still need some input for the dive profile block though.

It has everything I need for the type of diving I will be doing for the foreseeable future, but there is a bit of open space at the top where I could fit some more info. What would you put there.

I should note that I have separate blocks for gear, location and conditions. This block is mostly for profile/air info.

Thanks for your help.

BTW Ann Marie... Do the interns get Glocks? :rofl3:

Sorry could not pass it up

Attachments

• profile block.JPG
    profile block.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 570
I'll attach mine too. Similar to a lot of yours. One difference is a spot for the type of gas being used.

There are a lot of pages there. Printing two pages to a sheet will give you several types of logs and summaries.

Attachments

• DiveLog.pdf
    52.7 KB · Views: 416
Hi Vondo

That is a nice looking page you put together.

I do have a spot to note the gas being used, I included it in the gear block with the tank info. It is attached below.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• gear block.JPG
    gear block.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 498
Hi,

Nice work.

I coincidentally was looking in my log book and noticed I am almost out of pages, so this thread is timely.

One thing I like to log is the number of bars on my nitrogen display on my dive computer - I don't log, or pay any attention, to pressure groups.

Great page - I'll be using it, if you don't mind......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom