Custom dive ladders?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flot

Registered
Reaction score
Just bought a new 23 CC that looks like it'll be great for diving - except for the lousy factory ladder. Dealer is going to try to get me an armstrong "T" ladder but I think with the transom layout I should be able to have something pretty good fabricated.

1) Anyone in the South Florida area recommend a fabricator?

2) Anyone have photos of THEIR custom ladders that I can use for ideas?

Thanks!

Here is mine, simple, off the shelf, total cost about 250 dollars. It is a Garelick floating three step. I chose the three step because on smaller boats it is more than enough, larger would want the four step. I find myself on the second rung as it is. The bracket is also from Garelick, thye make several different mounting options, it is quite strong. It can be stowed in place, flipped for short runs or for longer runs I stow it along the console with the supplied brackets.

This is it on the swim step flipped:

DSCF0255.jpg

Here you can see it on the right side of the console stowed:

DSCF0264-1.jpg

A closer view of the attachment:

DSCF0257.jpg

We kept the standard swim ladder because it is already there and nice enough for swimming but obviously does not work so good for diving.

N

N-

Did you have to reinforce the transom or did you just bolt it straight through? Is there another steel plate under the transome. Looking at a similar setup and would appreciate your thoughts.

N - that is the setup the dealer is going to add if I can't work anything else out. Actually I am hoping the factory delivers the boat without the flip down ladder as I don't want to trip over it all the time. (although in retrospect I'm sure it would be a safe backup solution) Factory ladder on this boat, oddly, is only about 7" wide.

However, I think I just barely have room to go with a really nice aluminum hinged ladder, if I can find a fabricator to do it. Even though one of the reasons I bought the boat was its nice clean lines, I would love to have a big "dive boat style" ladder on the back, since diving is 75% of my use.

BTW: how do you like that dry-deck flooring? Was thinking about doing the same while the boat is brand new, but since I take the occasional fishing trip was afraid cleaning scales etc out might be a disaster.

Flot, the Dri Dek does wonders for protecting the deck from heavy tanks and wear and tear. It idoes collect debris under it which has to be washed out when you clean the boat.

Itsjustme, the ladder bolts to a bracket also from Garlick. They make several different brackets for different uses. the one I chose is an L bracket of heavy stainless. The L bracket can be mounted under the swim platform or on top of it. It is recommended if mounted under that a backing plate be installed on top. I felt it looked better and was stronger for my application if mounted on top. Underneath there are large area fender type washers and nylock nuts. it has very little give and can easily hold the rated load. The swim platform on our Boston Whaler is very sturdy, it is cored with plywood and is very strong. Some swim platforms are fairly weak and flexible, this one is rock solid. If you need part numbers or a place to get the bracket I can direct you.

The angle bracket came with a heavy rubber tread not installed yet in the picture. I had wanted to remove the OEM ladder and I might still but as you can see on my swimplatform there are two recessed grooves for the ladder and it just looks better if I left it on and it causes no problems.

In this view you can see the rubber non slip in place on the L bracket.

DSCF0342.jpg

Not recommending anything, this is what works for me, hope it helps.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom