Currently manufactured FMCL/OTSCL rebreathers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lemme light necro this thread.

If you have experience with BMCL and either FMCL or TOSCL, could you please compare and share?

Specifically, I'm interested in getting a second unit and want to know if FMCL or TOSCL could be a good option for deep(er) cave diving w a DPV. I don't like squeezing through tight places but don't mind a bit of front clutter; thus, FMCL or TOSCL won't be an issue from a personal preference.

The thread already outlines my short list - X, Meg, Liberty - and I want to know more about the lung config trade offs.

Thank you!
I was trained on the FMCLs and hated them (I got the unit used and they were supplied). Honestly they felt like they covered my whole chest and they were so damn lonnggggg. Flaps of CL everywhere yuck.

TOS were the only option when I was looking to replace the FMCLs. I love them! They can be a little "pillowy" around your ears if not strapped down well. The SS slider at the bottom of the CL is meant to hook into a loop of bungie on your chest D rings. The lack of an offboard dil MAV on the TOS lungs has not impacted my diving at all. The minnows available now have a thinner profile and seem nice too. if I had to do it all over I think either would be fine.

For cave diving I highly recommend dedicating your left side bottle to suit gas. Then offboarding your wing and dil (and BOV if you use one) from the sidemounted left BO. This easy to do with a QC6 and a small LP manifold which all tucks behind the wing.

I think the ISC minnows are great. Small enough to mostly be out of the way, but breathe like a champ in any orientation. There is no second port for external DIL, as mentioned, but there's a technique to allow you to switch to an off-board DIL that you should be taught in a MOD2/3 class.

Have used the original Inspo OTSCL and BMCL, and also the alternativa Golem TOS, would say that i love the unclutered chest, but, unless o tight squeezes, where the front mounted suffers (and cause suffering) a lot, all of them would be fine

I think the ISC minnows are great. Small enough to mostly be out of the way, but breathe like a champ in any orientation. There is no second port for external DIL, as mentioned, but there's a technique to allow you to switch to an off-board DIL that you should be taught in a MOD2/3 class.
Not super sophisticated but a BC whip on your BO can offboard via the O2 MAV at least temporarily

Is chestmount worth a mention here? The ultimate in front mounted counterlungs for ease of breathing and a compact unit as well.

There’s at least three units on the market (Triton, ChOptima, FX-CCR**) and two others within the next couple of years (Halcyon, DiveTalk)

What is the use case for front mounted counterlungs?

** FX-CCR being delivered real soon now

Is chestmount worth a mention here? The ultimate in front mounted counterlungs for ease of breathing and a compact unit as well.

There’s at least three units on the market (Triton, ChOptima, FX-CCR**) and two others within the next couple of years (Halcyon, DiveTalk)

What is the use case for front mounted counterlungs?

** FX-CCR being delivered real soon now
Hey man, good to hear from you. Let's catch up sometime!

As stated above, I want to get some feedback about BM units with non-BM counterlungs. There is no pressing use case, but there is a question for those experienced with multiple lung configuration: Will TOS or FMCL breathe much better than BMCL at depth (~300' or ~100m for you across the pond) in cave with DPV.

As stated above, I want to get some feedback about BM units with non-BM counterlungs. There is no pressing use case, but there is a question for those experienced with multiple lung configuration: Will TOS or FMCL breathe much better than BMCL at depth (~300' or ~100m for you across the pond) in cave with DPV.
Must admit that I struggle to understand why someone would want front or shoulder mounted counterlungs given their disadvantages— chest/shoulder clutter, extra loop hoses, moving joints, complexity—compared with the Revo’s armoured titanium casing enclosing the counterlungs. Have never experienced a problem with work of breathing regardless of trim angle, especially in overhead environments where truly flat trim is a requirement. Even with tight restrictions when squeezing through a tight gap the Revo’s lungs cannot collapse even if my chest is scraping on the bottom.

Appreciate the legend of the Meg FMCL being cut in half at depth and the unit continued to work.

WOB at depth is more related to the gas mix. Although I’ve only done a few dozen dives below 60m/200ft and never noticed WOB changing at depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom