Currently in US, what are the "must go" dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Florida diving is limited to Key Largo and Islamorada. It's only a 20 min boat ride from Islamorada and you're in the Gulf Stream. Anyone ever dive Tortuga off Key West?

Two great areas to consider: Morehead City, North Carolina and Florida, from Jupiter to Key Largo. It's all good.

DandyDon:
Florida. And don't buy a 5 mil. Buy a 3 mil and a 7 mil. When the 3 is not enough, change.

Change, as in change dive locations.

7 mil? Jeepers.

hey guys,
gosh, you guys are really helpful. thank you for the very very great information. really appreciate it.
was busy for the past few weeks, didn't get the chance to check out this forum.
yeah, after much research, i guess this time i'm planning to go for the keys.
maybe next round will be at the NC for those well-known wrecks :)
well, i'm planning my trip on the Mar 26th-28th, yeah, could not get whole week off, maybe i could extend until the 29th.
and it will be a long journey for me, morning flight, afternoon shuttle to the keys. i guess my whole day will be burned.
that means my diving will start on tuesday, and back on 28th evening. my schedule are not firmed yet, just a plan.
what do you guys think? :p
do u guys know will there be any shuttle from either miami airport or ft. lauderdale to the keys?
so, now the harder part, what do you guys think, key largo is better? or key west? i've checked on the shuttle by greyhound, it will take about 6 hours from ft. lauderdale to west keys... gosh!
For key largo, planning to dive in these places like spiegel grove, duane, christ, molasses, north dry rocks, french reef, what do you think? also, planning for one night trip, not sure which one to go for.
for key west, not sure what are the good places, but visited captainscorner.com, places that they visit, sounds cool
any nice dive ops/center to recommend?
and since i'm alone, not sure whether i can get a buddy :(
and if i really got for the keys, not sure whether my 1.5mm will do te job :roll: .. planning to get a vest or hooded west, is it necessary? :p
about NC, can i still use my 1.5mm? :p maybe with a 3mm hooded vest? or what size if suit is recommended?
thanks again guys :)

so, now the harder part, what do you guys think, key largo is better? or key west?
Key West is famous for a lot of things, but scuba is not one of them. There are many sites along the 80 miles of Oversea Hiway from Key Largo that direction, but as you approach Key West - diving is not the best.

i've checked on the shuttle by greyhound, it will take about 6 hours from ft. lauderdale to west keys... gosh!
Rent a car. It's a pleasant drive - one hour from Miami or two from Ft.Lauderdale to Key Largo. Looks like Enterprise is offering a mid size for $147 USD total plus gas for March 26-29. Some cheaper companies also showed up on the search, but I didn't recognize the names.

For key largo, planning to dive in these places like spiegel grove, duane, christ, molasses, north dry rocks, french reef, what do you think? also, planning for one night trip, not sure which one to go for.
Skip the statue. If you do a wreck dive on the first tank of a trip, you'll do a reef dive on the second tank.

for key west, not sure what are the good places, but visited captainscorner.com, places that they visit, sounds cool
any nice dive ops/center to recommend?
Dozens of great Ops along the Overseas Hiway. For more information on all this, I'm going to suggest a new thread in the Florida forum.

and since i'm alone, not sure whether i can get a buddy
You'll get a boat pick buddy on the charter. This is what lead me to get a pony bottle, but you'll get a good one probly.

and if i really got for the keys, not sure whether my 1.5mm will do te job :roll: .. planning to get a vest or hooded west, is it necessary? :p
Depends on your personal tolerance. Might be okay by then. If you need to add something, there's a great dive store at Mile Marker 99 in Key Largo: Water Wold Sports.

about NC, can i still use my 1.5mm? :p maybe with a 3mm hooded vest? or what size if suit is recommended?
In March? I think they start going out in May there...??

superkingkong:
well, i'm planning my trip on the Mar 26th-28th, yeah, could not get whole week off, maybe i could extend until the 29th.
and it will be a long journey for me, morning flight, afternoon shuttle to the keys. i guess my whole day will be burned.
that means my diving will start on tuesday, and back on 28th evening. my schedule are not firmed yet, just a plan.
what do you guys think? :p...........
To be honest, this is very little time. I've made the trip from NYC to the Keys multiple times. We arrive in Fort Lauderdale and rent a car, then drive to the final Keys destination. 90 min from FLL to Key Largo. You could save about 30 min by flying to Miami Intl. airport. If you leave Boston really early, you might be able to do an afternoon trip the day of arrival. You could do 4 tanks on the 27th, but none on the 28th, departure day. Your best bet might be to stay in the Fort Lauderdale area and dive there. I have not dived there myself, but lots of folks do and can surely tell you the best ops and locations.

I've never dived Ft.Lauderdale area either, altho I have heard it's good. Again, more info on the Florida forum.

He said he might push his return to the 29th, so he could dive the 28th up to 18 hours from flight time.

Back
Top Bottom