Current COVID/masking in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jchance

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I miss ChuckP’s running information pertaining to pandemic happenings in Cozumel. We are heading there next month and other than the US requirement for testing prior to return, what is going on in Cozumel? Are there any remaining requirements or restrictions? Or, are things somewhat back to normal?

You still have to wear masks in public. Curfew is still in play late at night and restaurants still have capacity limits. Most places you go to eat will give you hand sanitizer as soon as you walk in and some will take your temp.

Not back to normal. The state is in Orange and Cozumel has some sort of quasi yellow status - a regression. In addition to the above, grocery stores are supposed to allow one person per family. There have been a couple of belligerent, and I susupect drunk, locals getting arrested for not wearing masks. The translation was they were "sent to preventive separations" which I find hilarious. If you are interested - https://www.facebook.com/POLICIACOZUMEL/.
On our flight from DEN to Cozumel, we were supposed to fill out a health questionaire at vuelaseguro.com on our phones but no one asked to see it in Cozumel upon arrival. It is possible that behind the scenes it was reported but I have no way of telling.
Mex Customs in Cozumel is still all over tobacco and vaping paraphernalia.

I don't think anyone is looking at those health questionnaires. Flying into CUN in June, I'd filled one out online, but my husband didn't. Nobody said a word about it. In fact, I'd filled out a questionnaire in February before we flew into CUN and had it printed. Not only did nobody want to see it, but when I tried to offer it, I was waved away.

Similarly, upon checking in for our outbound flights, we had to fill out a health form. People kept checking to see if we had the form, but nobody ever asked to actually look at it and it was never collected. Silly paperwork that's a waste of time.

Also, for anyone flying one of the airlines using VeriFly, don't bother with that. I ran around frantically trying to get things printed out so that I could honestly fill out our VeriFly info. Yet another thing nobody asked for. The AA check in person didn't care about it at all....just wanted to see my printed covid test. Supposedly if you fill it out, your check-in goes faster, but not if it doesn't get registered in the airline's system....or if they don't ask for it.

One thing I'm wondering about....do we really have to have a printed copy of that covid test? We're going back in a couple of weeks, but not staying at a resort and we won't have access to a printer. Our covid tests will be emailed to us in PDF format.

One thing I'm wondering about....do we really have to have a printed copy of that covid test? We're going back in a couple of weeks, but not staying at a resort and we won't have access to a printer. Our covid tests will be emailed to us in PDF format.
Yeah, I'd like that answered too. I think showing it on your phone is fine, but I'd like someone to confirm it.

Yesterday Chedraui was enforcing the 1 per family rule, no mention of that at Mega. Both stores gave a squirt of hand sanitizer and took our temps.

Most walking and riding scooters or cars in Centro are still masked up. All taxi drivers are masked as are all servers. Taxi drivers expect you to wear a mask.

We flew here on United, and no mention of any health form before, during or after.

I'm not going to screw around with the covid results on my phone when we return. Have heard repeatedly that AA's Verifly app is COMPLETELY worthless 99% of the time. I did get a text from United advising me of an app, but the lab that we got our tests from in April is 4 blocks away, ($500.00 MXN), and they offer printed results in an hour. I know that the authorities will accept my two pieces of paper, and the chance of a snafu is next to non-existent.

Edit to Add: Many 40 - 50 year olds have received the vaccine, and this week some 30 - 40 year olds are getting both their 1st and 2nd dose and yes, they are VERY excited about it.

The COVID situation on the island is worse that it has ever been. The hospitals are full and people are literally dying now. Although I no longer live on the island, I still speak to friends on the island daily. I spoke to a friend yesterday who has been to 3 funerals in less than 2 weeks from COVID. They also have had over 300 reported cases in the last few weeks, which is substantial for the island.

I understand the desire to want to help the economy of the island, but they do not have enough resources to take care of the residents, let alone a visitor who may get sick and stuck there.

I am not here to tell you how or what decision to make, I am just sharing the reality of the current situation. It is pretty dim.

If you aren't fully vaccinated it would be silly to travel internationally to Mexico or anywhere else. Last month as I understand from friends the real count was about 9X the official tally in Cozumel. Not saying they are fudging the numbers since there are a lot of factors involved (my doctor is from India and estimates they are at 10X). If you have a breakthrough infection plan on staying a few weeks extra even if asymptomatic.
That said I am heading down tomorrow, with my eyes open.
(I have had Covid and both shots of Phizer)

Yesterday Chedraui was enforcing the 1 per family rule, no mention of that at Mega. Both stores gave a squirt of hand sanitizer and took our temps.

Most walking and riding scooters or cars in Centro are still masked up. All taxi drivers are masked as are all servers. Taxi drivers expect you to wear a mask.

We flew here on United, and no mention of any health form before, during or after.

I'm not going to screw around with the covid results on my phone when we return. Have heard repeatedly that AA's Verifly app is COMPLETELY worthless 99% of the time. I did get a text from United advising me of an app, but the lab that we got our tests from in April is 4 blocks away, ($500.00 MXN), and they offer printed results in an hour. I know that the authorities will accept my two pieces of paper, and the chance of a snafu is next to non-existent.

Edit to Add: Many 40 - 50 year olds have received the vaccine, and this week some 30 - 40 year olds are getting both their 1st and 2nd dose and yes, they are VERY excited about it.
I have been to Cozumel three times in the last couple months. The AA personal know what they are doing and will clear a printed or phone copy of a test result very rapidly.

You still have to wear masks in public. Curfew is still in play late at night and restaurants still have capacity limits. Most places you go to eat will give you hand sanitizer as soon as you walk in and some will take your temp.

Exactly the case June 9-19 when we were at Scuba Club.

Back
Top Bottom