Current COVID/masking in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A new order was implemented last night - I have translated it below:

Chetumal, Q. Roo, Mexico - 20 July 2021
Governor Carlos Joaquin Gonzalez has called in the Navy National Guard to help enforce precautions to prevent the state from going into the Red Zone calling it "Safe access and open spaces" Beginning Wednesday, July 21, 2021 all public establishments including hotels, restaurants, tourist attractions, and stores must require either a proof of vaccination or a negative antigen test within 72 hours prior in order to enter.

The Governor's objective is to avoid contagions in establishments, and continue to promote economic recovery, have safe access and open spaces in hotels, restaurants and boats.

He emphasized that all establishments must meet the following criteria:

• Respect the established capacity.
  • Require proof of vaccination or a negative test of PCR or antigen no longer than 72 hours from all guests at one entry point.
  • Ensure that all staff are vaccinated or have a negative test for COVID-19 every 72 hours.
  • Do not allow customer access after 10:30pm
  • Install air purifying filters in spaces that cannot be naturally ventilated, and use Carbon Dioxide meters to verify air quality.

He also announced that parties and meetings in all establishments, including boats and ferries are not exempt and are subject to the same capacities, sanitary measures, inspections and operations as were established earlier in the pandemic. Those who are caught will be subject to sanctions such as heavy fines, closures and/or revocation of permits and/or licenses.

This is due to a great extent, the fact that compliance with sanitary measures has been relaxed and that too many people no longer take the necessary precautions to break the chain of contagion.

The COVID-19 vaccine does not guarantee immunity, but has been proven to reduce the probability of showing severe symptoms including death in case of infection. If you are vaccinated, you may still contract the virus, and you may still infect others.

Christi, can you provide a link to this? I have a friend going to Playa in 2 weeks and their wife is refusing to get vaccinated.

Sorry - I don't have the link - one of my previous staff members sent me the Spanish version cut and pasted and then I translated it - but send her the link to this -

Sorry - I don't have the link - one of my previous staff members sent me the Spanish version cut and pasted and then I translated it - but send her the link to this -

Thank you. :)

Christi, can you provide a link to this? I have a friend going to Playa in 2 weeks and their wife is refusing to get vaccinated.

Vaccination takes time to be effective. Two weeks isn't long enough even were she to get vaccinated today.

Food for thought:

Cozumel has only offered the vaccination to ages 40 years and older. To word this differently, anyone 39 years of age or younger in Cozumel just became unemployable.

I just got my second shot today for ages 40-49. About 5% of the people that showed up actually recieved the shot due to shortages of the island. So my statement above is mirrored for those 40-49.

So basically every restaurant and hotel and scuba shop in Cozumel just had to close its doors? Not buying it.

Just searched the government website for a mention of this. I see nothing. I'd like to see an official statement. Nothing on their social media accounts, either. If this is true, they sure don't want anyone to know.

I will add in a personal note of what I see here. As a full time resident of Cozumel, since the start Covid in 2020, I personally know 2 residents that have tested positve. Both still annoy me to this day, thankfully. Granted I am not a social butterfly, but I can say I have 6 DM / OWSI on my dive staff who are diving everyday and have been since mid 2020 and none of them have tested positive. I also use 2-3 freelancers to help cover days off of my staff, and none have been ill. None of our divers have reached out to me after their Cozumel vacation to express becoming Covid positve.

Here is the Spanish version text that was sent to me - I assure you I don't have the time or interest to make this stuff up - just sharing what was shared with me and seems to go along with other reports I am getting from friends who still live on the island. And I personally know of twelve residents that have tested positive and have presented with mild to severe symptoms in 2021. Dr. Julio (one of the island's beloved veterinarians) has been hospitalized and on a ventilator for a couple of weeks now. He has improved, but still in fragile condition.

Chetumal - 20 de julio 2021

"Exigirán cartilla de vacunación o pruebas anti-Covid19 para ingresar a centros comerciales de Quintana Roo"

Chetumal.- Luego de anunciar la integración del sector náutico a la estrategia “10 Medidas para evitar el color rojo en el Semáforo” con el programa de “accesos seguros y espacios abiertos”, el gobernador de Quintana Roo, Carlos Joaquín González, dio a conocer que a partir de mañana todos los centros comerciales, hoteles y restaurantes deberán exigir la cartilla de vacunación, una prueba negativa de PCR o antígeno no mayor a 72 horas a todas las personas que entren a sus establecimientos.

En objetivo -dijo- es evitar los contagios en los establecimientos, y seguir favoreciendo la recuperación económica, contar con accesos seguros y espacios abiertos, en hoteles, restaurantes y embarcaciones.

Enfatizó que todos los establecimientos deberán cumplir con criterios como:

•Respetar los aforos establecidos.

•Solicitar al ingreso de los clientes un comprobante de vacunación o una prueba negativa de PCR o antígeno no mayor a 72 horas.

•Comprobar que la totalidad del personal esté vacunado o presente una prueba negativa a covid-19. No permitir el acceso de clientes a partir de las 10:30 de la noche.

•Privilegiar los espacios abiertos e instalar filtros purificadores de aire en espacios que no se pueden ventilar naturalmente, y usar medidores de Dióxido de Carbono para verificar la calidad del aire.

De igual forma dio a conocer que, con el fin de evitar fiestas en algunas marinas, ferris y embarcaciones que no cumplan el cuidado de las medidas sanitarias, se realizarán inspecciones y operativos en marinas, embarcaciones, establecimientos comerciales y todos los involucrados en este tipo de reuniones y fiestas.

Quienes sean sorprendidos, serán acreedores a sanciones como multas, clausuras o revocación de permisos o patentes.

Lo anterior se debe, en gran medida, a que se ha relajado el cumplimiento de las medidas sanitarias y que algunas personas ya no toman las
You sent Today at 8:44 PM
precauciones necesarias para romper la cadena de contagio.

Explico que la vacuna contra el Covid-19 no garantiza la inmunidad, sino que disminuye la probabilidad de mostrar sintomas severos, en caso de contagio. Si estas vacunado, aun puedes contagiarte y, también, puedes contagiar a los demas.

That statement is seen on this page: https://www.facebook.com/ElGrilloDeChetumal/

I don't know anything about any of this. Observing the country's government, news agencies, culture, etc. is interesting, but I never know what to make of any of it.

It appears that an agreement has finally been reached to increase the ferry schedule to reduce crowding. Last night shortly after 6PM the line at the Cozumel side waiting to get onto the pier was past Palmers (no social distancing). This was shortly after a 6PM departure and appeared to be folks who were not allowed on the pier and were waiting for the next departure at 7PM. Here is the news article.
Cozumel waits on SCT to enforce new Winjet, Ultramar agreement - Riviera Maya News

The duopoly agreement between Ultramar and Winjet to operate on alternate days to allow maximum profit, is also the primary driver of over crowding and appears to remain in effect.
Screenshot_20210722-052016.png
Screenshot_20210722-052715.png

Do they furnish vacc-cards in Mexico? I heard not, but never know what to believe.

Its super cool. You can print it out, has a QR code on it and everything.

Back
Top Bottom