Currency Exchange

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gkrane

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Is there anywhere in the Cozumel airport to convert US Dollars to Mexican Pesos? I just checked XE and the current rate is 1 to 18.86. I am leaving for my first trip there tomorrow.

Yes, an ATM.
CAUTION: Only use bank ATMs in Mexico. There are many cash machines around, maybe some at the airport, and thefts are too common with those. Still, the government allows them.

There are several bank ATM's in the terminal. As you exit customs hang a left pass the time share guys and head towards the ticket counters. In the passageway prior to the ticket area there are several bank ATM's including a Banamex which I have used. Remember bank ATM's just dispence money (in this case Peso's) and charge a service fee for the service (Banamex gets about 31 Peso's, 1.5 USD) then your bank replaces those funds to Banamex and they determine what exchange rate, transaction fee, (possibly you banker loosing at the track fees) they then charge you.
To exchange actual dollars to Peso's is very expensive either prior to going or at a money changer.

There are several bank ATM's in the terminal. As you exit customs hang a left pass the time share guys and head towards the ticket counters. In the passageway prior to the ticket area there are several bank ATM's including a Banamex which I have used. Remember bank ATM's just dispence money (in this case Peso's) and charge a service fee for the service (Banamex gets about 31 Peso's, 1.5 USD) then your bank replaces those funds to Banamex and they determine what exchange rate, transaction fee, (possibly you banker loosing at the track fees) they then charge you.
To exchange actual dollars to Peso's is very expensive either prior to going or at a money changer.

Scotia is 31.0, Santander is 31.32, and HSBC is 33.35.
Don't have receipts for any other banks.

there are numerous casas de cambio that the taxi drivers can take you to if you ask. but there are several banks with ATMs right off the main square I wouldnt use an ATM unless it is ATTACHED/Built into an actual bank.

there are numerous casas de cambio that the taxi drivers can take you to if you ask. but there are several banks with ATMs right off the main square I wouldnt use an ATM unless it is ATTACHED/Built into an actual bank.

You wouldn't use one at Mega? Even though on payday, locals line up 5 - 20 deep? You wouldn't use one at the airport? Why not?

Sure a taxi will help you acquire pesos at an inflated rate. Why ask a taxi to take you to a cambio rather than I bank???

I always get pesos from my bank I always seem to have a few thousand laying around. I didnt need any more while I was there however my friends did and the rates they saw wernt much worse than the bank rate. My friend didnt remember her PIN and her bank (BBVA Bancomer) was closed when we were in town so she couldnt go reset it.

I am leery of ATMs that arnt attached to banks because I have seen huge fees and or scams at the standalone ATMs.

Back
Top Bottom