Cuff or Shoulder Vent for Dry Suit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks, that clears things up. I just wanted to make sure we are all speaking the same language.

To me, "cuff" implies location, not function, as does shoulder dump. I have what I call a cuff dump, because it is on my cuff, but it is a traditional adjustable exhaust valve that I leave fully open except sometimes on cold deco. I would refer to what you are calling a 'cuff dump' as a non-adjustable valve, which could be put in a number of locations.

Regardless of the style of valve, a valve on the cuff/forearm is a poor choice in my opinion because it requires raising one's arm to vent....which can be a problem in any sort of tight overhead. A well-placed valve on the shoulder just requires a little roll to the side. Perhaps the original poster doesn't dive in wrecks or caves, but despite where you think your diving is going, adhering to the principal of primacy will make your growth as a diver much easier and prevent having to unlearn things.

I have a cuff dump on my suit and I like it. I only add air to my suit to take the squezze off not for bouyance control. The cuff dump is not the same side as my BC inflator, so on the accent I am venting air from my suit as I deflate my BC. I find its use effortless.

Its fine for overheads, the arm raise is a tiny movement. Its certainly no more of an angle shift than rolling to dump from a shoulder. You definately dont need to straightem the arm or anything to do that. Arm in line with shoulder is normally enough to dump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom