Cuba required insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

timetraveler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am a US Citizen. I have booked a cruise to Cuba from the US. My travel agent tells me that Cuba requires medical/evacuation insurance for entry. Rather than purchasing the travel insurance that the cruise line is selling, I would like to use what I already have: DAN membership for evacuation insurance and Blue Cross for medical. Has anyone been successful in entering Cuba using your DAN membership for required evacuation insurance?

I am a US Citizen. I have booked a cruise to Cuba from the US. My travel agent tells me that Cuba requires medical/evacuation insurance for entry. Rather than purchasing the travel insurance that the cruise line is selling, I would like to use what I already have: DAN membership for evacuation insurance and Blue Cross for medical. Has anyone been successful in entering Cuba using your DAN membership for required evacuation insurance?
Yes, but flying in to get on a liveaboard, not cruising in.

I thought the DAN insurance was applicable to diving accidents. And you are not going to be diving. I've attached DAN's policy statement on travel to Cuba, but it is over a year old, our government has changed a bit, and you really should check with DAN to see if their insurance is applicable in your case.

Attachments

• DAN Insurance re Cuba.pdf
    143.1 KB · Views: 131
I've been to Cuba many times by boat and flying. No one ever asked for my proof of insurance. Check your medical policy to be sure it will evacuate you or pay for your care while there. They have excellent healthcare.

I thought the DAN insurance was applicable to diving accidents. And you are not going to be diving
It does. But I'm looking at the evacuation benefit that comes with DAN membership:
"DAN TravelAssist®
As a DAN Member, you automatically receive DAN TravelAssist and up to $100,000 of evacuation assistance coverage. This benefit is effective for both diving and nondiving medical emergencies. Evacuation coverage begins when you travel on a trip at least 50 miles (80 km) from home and call the DAN Emergency Hotline (+1-919-684-9111) for assistance or evacuation."
I've attached DAN's policy statement on travel to Cuba, but it is over a year old, our government has changed a bit, and you really should check with DAN to see if their insurance is applicable in your case.
I will call them tomorrow.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom