CSSP Sunday 8/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TxHockeyGuy:
Wow, setting a compass heading towards the boat and finding the coffin, now that's some "interesting" navigation :wink: . I actually was on a dive with Frank on Sunday and he took us by the coffin. I actually signaled to everyone to hold while I pop up top as I wanted to get some bearings so I can find the darned thing again. For those not aware the coffin has become somewhat of an arch nemesis for me. It's the only thing in that lake that I consistently look for and cannot find. I have seen it before but someone literally tied off their SMB to it for me so I could find it. So, as of yesterday at about 5:00 PM if you head due south from the entrance near the plane you will run into the coffin, the top of it is 37 ft down. If you enter from over near the beast bench it is on a heading of 60. It was no where near where I remembered it which certainly wasn't helping me find it again.

All in all the weekend was great and I really enjoyed diving with everyone, we'll have to do it again!

...but with your directions I'm going to try again.

BTW, how cold is it when you dive deep with Timeliner? 3 mm wetsuit cold?

cruiser:
...but with your directions I'm going to try again.

BTW, how cold is it when you dive deep with Timeliner? 3 mm wetsuit cold?

I don't remember even looking at my computer temps but if I recall someone said it was 72 or 73F at 37' and about 90F at the surface. I was down there in a 3 mil but I didn't spend much time below 30' as that's where one of the colder thermoclines was and I am very much a warm water wuss. The more I think about the compass reading from the entrance near the beast bench entrance the more I think I'm not remembering that one right, I'm thinking it might actually be 120. So use the due south from the plane entrance, I know I'm remembering that one right. Also the coffin is on top of a really big rock so the bottom is probably at least 42' there, if that helps at all.

TxHockeyGuy:
I don't remember even looking at my computer temps but if I recall someone said it was 72 or 73F at 37' and about 90F at the surface. I was down there in a 3 mil but I didn't spend much time below 30' as that's where one of the colder thermoclines was and I am very much a warm water wuss. The more I think about the compass reading from the entrance near the beast bench entrance the more I think I'm not remembering that one right, I'm thinking it might actually be 120. So use the due south from the plane entrance, I know I'm remembering that one right. Also the coffin is on top of a really big rock so the bottom is probably at least 42' there, if that helps at all.

Yes, that helps a lot. 72 ain't so bad for a short time--that's almost Aquarena temps. I've sketched it in on my MIP (map in progress) for next time :)

If you have really good vis it's easy to find...plot from the plane to the set of 2 platforms....about 2/3 of the way to the platforms, the coffin is down on your left. Or from the platforms, swim toward the plane but kinda swing right to the deeper water between the platforms and the wall...swim in that channel to the rocks then slight left to the plane. You'll pass over the coffin in the channel shortly after leaving the platforms.

TxHockeyGuy:
For those not aware the coffin has become somewhat of an arch nemesis for me. It's the only thing in that lake that I consistently look for and cannot find. I have seen it before but someone literally tied off their SMB to it for me so I could find it. So, as of yesterday at about 5:00 PM if you head due south from the entrance near the plane you will run into the coffin, the top of it is 37 ft down. If you enter from over near the beast bench it is on a heading of 60. It was no where near where I remembered it which certainly wasn't helping me find it again.

If you head 90' from the double platform, you'll come to the ravine. Just turn left at the boulders and follow them. It will bring you right to the coffin. From there you can go straight North and it will bring you to the large boulders by the plane.

The gater is what I can never find. I've only seen it twice - both times purely by accident, with no real clue as to where we were at the time.

I ain't no Math Wizard... I just head down to the bottom and follow the channel and the coffin will be there someplace. That danged thing is heavy and so it never moves too far without a bunch of effort. It was so clear down there this last weekend !!
It was the best Vis. in the whole lake.
ZzzKing took a few snaps with his Hollywood style camera while we were there.

And what about those throngs of Bass !!! Were they nuts or what ??

...making notes on my slate... [scribble, scribble]

Texass:
If you head 90' from the double platform, you'll come to the ravine. Just turn left at the boulders and follow them. It will bring you right to the coffin. From there you can go straight North and it will bring you to the large boulders by the plane.

The gater is what I can never find. I've only seen it twice - both times purely by accident, with no real clue as to where we were at the time.

I have never seen the gater, do you have any idea what part of the park it is in? I have never really been at the south end, so I'm guessing it is down there.

I've never seen the gator, either.

Last time I ran over the 'gator, I think it was near the middle dock on the east side. Maybe the one north of the pontoon dock, but it's been quite a while since I've seen it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom