CSSP Stress & Rescue 10/5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thevalkyry

Queen of the Turtles
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First let me say that, physically, this class kicked my butt!! I have never been so tired in my life.

On the overall, I would say that my biggest take home message from this class is sort of like when I first had my breakthrough about neutral buoyancy. Dont just wear your equipment, use your equipment. I am a strong swimmer and very comfortable in the water. But just because I am capable of treading water with a gazillion pounds of scuba equipment on doesnt mean I should. In the middle of a rescue skill I often dont remember to inflate my own BC until my leg starts to cramp. And as Eric says, you only want one problem in the water at a time.

During pool work, when trying to capture a panicked diver the instructor yanked my regulator out of my mouth because I got within reach of her flailing arms. Trying to apply the lesson learned I was trying to stay further off when I did this in the lake. So my grasp was weaker and he turned on me. WOW! Talk about a transfer in panic. So again - use your equipment. It's not like I couldnt have dropped down where he wouldnt follow me. I did better on my second attempt, but I really think that is something I need to do a few more times. But grrrrr; the competitive-perfectionist in me is still chewing her liver over not getting it right the first time.

Bringing someone up is much easier. Especially if their power inflator is working :wink:. But hauling someone to shore is less easy. Dragging someone up from 32 feet down and then 50 feet out was taxing - that's what left me barely standing.

The instructors headed out for a fun dive post-class. Normally, I would have been all over that, but I just cringed at the idea of all that gear. As it was it took me almost an hour to gear down even dealing with everything in bite-sized peices...

Final thought - so glad this is a group activity.

Sounds like fun! Not.

I'm hoping to take rescue next year, and I'm not really looking forward to it. I feel like it's necessary though. Good skills to learn. Congrats on finishing the class, sorry you didn't have more fun!

Rhonda

Considerations for a rescue class:

You learned alot, and you are assessing the mistakes you made. Good for you. It is a very physical class, every student comes out if it tired and sore. That's normal.

Stop, think, act... especially with an active victim. You have more time with these individuals. Take it. If it helps the victim get worn out, then there is less struggling. That's good.

I think you learn more when you make mistakes. As long as you only make them once.

Good job.

TwoBit

Rescue is a very good course.....it offer a fair amount of information and skills that are important not only for self rescue but also for that day when you might find yourself in a position to make a difference in someone else's day.

I was out there with Adventure Scuba right next to you guys doing a PADI rescue class all weekend. Congrats on the completion, we wrapped it up this afternoon as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom