CSSP Polar Bear??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I don't know if I can handle the $40 price tag to go and dive with a crowd and hear them yuk, yuk, yuk around on how cold the water is. Jeez!! It is still soft water, it can't be that cold. :)

I am gonig to check with the folks out at PK to see if they will be open, or at least grant us lake access on New Years Day. It has been a tradtion for me to go to PK and avoid the crowds and it is usually cheaper ($10?), with Scuba Point selling, this will be then end of an era.

Actually, I was out there last Sunday, water was 55F and 12-15ft vis. I will back out there again tomorrow, will give a report when we get back. I can't see the water droping below 48-50F by New Years. (BTW, checked the water at Lake Okoboji, air temp is 6F, water temp is 40F and has 8-10 inches of ice on it. At this rate it should be 18" thick by the time we go ice diving in Feb)

Randy

Lake Murray/OK. is already at 48f and by Feb. will be 42f.

"yuk, yuk, yuk around on how cold the soft water is . . . ." LOL! Ha!
I am hoping to get in a couple of dives at Murray some time in the next week or so.

I might consider going to Murray on New Years Day. The water would certainly be colder. And the price right, even though it is a bit further drive for me.

R

Icediver,
Talk to me when you are ready to go dive. I am planning on running up to murray some time during the week of Dec. 23. I can probably be talked into diving on Jan 1 too.

I did the Polar Bear Dive back in '06. The "breakfast" they provide is a few bagels, fruit, jam and such, don't expect much. At $40 I am not terribly interested and the year I went the vis was 6' at best (note I have no idea how it will be this year as obviously my information is 2 years old). The year I went there were 2 people that were down without a wetsuit for over 45 minutes, I think one was down for about 1:20 without a wetsuit in a little over 50F water (actually my understanding is they weren't wearing anything at all). That put them both severely hypothermic and that is extremely dangerous. I understand this "tradition" continues even though there is no official prize. I personally don't want to be put in a position where I need to assist someone in this situation so I choose not to participate. I would love to hear this is no longer done but if I recall I heard reports this happened again last year. I could of course be wrong so if someone knows better please say so.

I don't remember anyone going for the bearest last year. I agree it was pretty stupid and the people that did it know better to boot. I pretty sure Robert decided not to have fools trying to race for a darwin award.
It is fun to see friends and catch up. While the dives aren't anything to write home about it always been about getting together for a good time. I'm bringing champange and OJ for after dive celebrations. I just need a good batch of black eyed peas and corn bread to kick off my new year right.

Happy Holidays
Rich

While I would be happy to spend less money going to Lake Murray........ I think having available bathrooms and hot showers outweighs saving a few dollars!

I don't own a drysuit, so the hot shower will be very important to me, after my dive.

As for the breakfast, I'm sure we'll eat before we leave anyway, I'm just looking forward to diving, seeing some of our dive buddies we haven't seen in a couple of months, and meeting new one's.

There also might actually be some fish to see at CSSP!

Rhonda

I don't believe any Foos will be fooing around out there. Toooooo cold brrrrrr! I can only imagine the expletives flowing from Frank's sailor mouth right now. Aside from the cold $40 is pretty steep, IMO. Y'all have fun!

I don't remember anyone going for the bearest last year. I agree it was pretty stupid and the people that did it know better to boot. I pretty sure Robert decided not to have fools trying to race for a darwin award.
It is fun to see friends and catch up. While the dives aren't anything to write home about it always been about getting together for a good time. I'm bringing champange and OJ for after dive celebrations. I just need a good batch of black eyed peas and corn bread to kick off my new year right.

Happy Holidays
Rich

I thought I remembered hearing that someone did that again last year but could easily be mistaken, you're more likely to know than I so I am glad they ended that nonsense. So now I'll just have to go with my not liking the cold excuse. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom