Cruise Ship Passenger Dies in St.Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So it goes.

Poor guy

wow. I'm getting on the treadmill. I feel for the family. My condolences go out to them

The links are so often only temporarily available, so I'm gonna copy the story below.

I'm sure the brother feels bad for letting the deceased surface alone. Don't know that it would have made any difference, but we are taught otherwise.

Tourist dies during dive

PHILIPSBURG/St. Maarten--Detectives brought the dive master and dive instructor of Dive Safari to the Philipsburg police station for questioning following the death of an American tourist during their dive excursion, on Tuesday around 10:45am.

Police spokesman Chief Inspector Humphrey “Boyd” Giterson told The Daily Herald that the victim’s family had requested that an autopsy be done to conclusively determine the cause of death of (the deceased diver). (43).

According to Giterson, police have conducted their investigation and so far there is “no evidence of negligence on the part of Dive Safari or foul play resulting in the victim’s death.”

Giterson called the incident “an unfortunate” one and said the fact that there had been other incidents of this type relating to the company Dive Safari, with the last one in December, in which a female American tourist drowned, did not suggest cause for concern.

He said that the victim in this case was a generously proportioned man who had recorded 45 dives in the past. However, there are cases in which the people who dive aren’t physically fit, which can result in accidents. He said the detectives would await the result of the autopsy.

(The deceased), who arrived on the island early Tuesday on board the cruise ship Disney Magic, went on an excursion with his brother, who is reportedly a US Coast Guard officer.

The brother told police that he had been underwater with his brother, who indicated to him that he was going topside. The officer opted to stay below and surfaced a few minutes later, only to find people trying to resuscitate his brother, who by then had blood coming from his nose and was vomiting.

It is not clear whether the victim had heart complications or if his injury resulted from surfacing too quickly.

Giterson said he had been brought ashore to Bobby’s Marina where he was pronounced dead by Dr. Mercuur. A pathologist is expected to come from Curaçao today, Wednesday, to perform the autopsy.

My heartfelt condolences to the family.

I dove with Dive Safari last year while crusing with the family on the Disney Magic. The staff was very professional and accomodating.

Stephen

Very sad indeed. His brother as a good "buddy", should have surfaced with him....If you start the dive as a solo diver, that's your choice...but if you start the dive with a buddy, you end it with a buddy.

wouldn't the blood coming out of his nose and the vomiting be a sign that maybe he just came up to fast and/or didn't equalize?
Not making any assumptions.. just curious

RIP.

Problems come on quickly, whatever they may be. Stick with your buddy and have a seperation plan.

7milehi:
A passenger aboard the cruise ship Disney Magic died while diving in St. Maarten with Dive Safaris.

http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/daily/j095/tourist095.html
But I found this disturbing...

"The brother told police that he had been underwater with his brother, who indicated to him that he was going topside. The officer opted to stay below and surfaced a few minutes later, only to find people trying to resuscitate his brother, who by then had blood coming from his nose and was vomiting. "

Nice buddy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom