Cruise Ship Passenger Dies in St.Maarten

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffWilliamsLa:
Nice buddy

We all make mistakes in life that we wish we had done different. I'm sure his brother wishes, and will wish for the rest of his life, he had done this different.

Maule:
We all make mistakes in life that we wish we had done different. I'm sure his brother wishes, and will wish for the rest of his life, he had done this different.

I don't get it, ( I don't have the exact statistics) in over 50% of dive accident reports there is buddy separation and/or solo diving involved. WHY don't people get it? IF YOUR BUDDY IS ENDING HIS DIVE, THEN YOU ARE ENDING YOUR DIVE.

You people are way way to quick to judge. The brother could of sat on the bottom watching his brother get to the boat before he continued his dive. We have no way to know if he was a good buddy, a bad buddy or it would not have mattered either way. At the very least he deserves the befit of the doubt.

Not all fatalities are caused by bad buddies.

In whatever case, condolances to the family.

I dove with dive safaris a couple of years ago & when you hit 500psi your dive was done and they sent you back to the boat. The dives were just guided tours & had a DM for each group. Depths were only 50fsw & with vis that allowed you to watch them go to boat. The boat was crowded, and for the most part all divers were out of shape & hadnt dove in quite a while.

Cecil:
You people are way way to quick to judge. The brother could of sat on the bottom watching his brother get to the boat before he continued his dive. We have no way to know if he was a good buddy, a bad buddy or it would not have mattered either way. At the very least he deserves the befit of the doubt.

Not all fatalities are caused by bad buddies.

Not all fatalities are CAUSED by bad buddies but perhaps fatalities could be avoided with good ones. Definition of bad buddy is one who doesn't stay with their buddy for most of us on this board. I think everyone is pointing out the missing buddy not as judgemental but as sort of an eye opener for others. No one know what happened or how things may have been different but from the beginning of OW training everyone is taught that buddy skills are important. Unless both of you have solo training and equipment and are prepared to do so, seperation shouldn't cross your mind. Its even more risky when the more experienced diver is the one not joining the less experienced on the ascent.

I descend with my buddy and ascend with him too. Even if its only a few minutes after the ascent and he "ruined" my dive or vice versa. We thumb dives and ascend together for ANY reason. Its easy to forget the rules in sunny warm shallow water so maybe this thread will help others rethink before they seperate.

Miranda

The reason for this forum existing, as I understand it, is to learn from the accidents and perhaps mistakes of others. It is not our place here to judge whether a diver let his brother down or not, and - we certainly do not have enough facts to do so anyway.

I'm sure the surviving brother feels awful, perhaps blaming himself even if he did take reasonble actions. My condolences to him, not accustations at all.

Can we look for lessons to be accepted here?
>> Ensure that you're in good physical condition before you dive - or take up golf.
>> Stay with your buddy; if you lose him/her, have a plan to meet on the surface after one minute.
What else here...??

I understand your concern.

I dunno about the board rules but I my personal feeling is just it's up to you to consider your purpose.

Personally I'd be wary of debating an o.w. course gone sour in the context of a fatality unless I knew for very sure that there was a general trend of dangerous irresponsibility on the part of the operator in question.

After all these are, as far as I know, un-related incidents and of very different caliber - and it seems the final verdict is not down on the more serious one yet.

The truth is the truth but it's just very easy to create a bias on the basis of very limited data and we're potentially dealing with the livelihood of a lot of people in a business were people can get hurt even following the rules.

I just think it's important to be really specific and fact-based in these matters.

Maule:

Otter:
I don't get it, ( I don't have the exact statistics) in over 50% of dive accident reports there is buddy separation and/or solo diving involved. WHY don't people get it? IF YOUR BUDDY IS ENDING HIS DIVE, THEN YOU ARE ENDING YOUR DIVE.

I guess what i'm saying is there is a time and place for everything. In my mind, when someones loved one dies, isn't the time or place.

DandyDon:
The reason for this forum existing, as I understand it, is to learn from the accidents and perhaps mistakes of others. It is not our place here to judge whether a diver let his brother down or not, and - we certainly do not have enough facts to do so anyway.

I'm sure the surviving brother feels awful, perhaps blaming himself even if he did take reasonble actions. My condolences to him, not accustations at all.

Can we look for lessons to be accepted here?
>> Ensure that you're in good physical condition before you dive - or take up golf.
>> Stay with your buddy; if you lose him/her, have a plan to meet on the surface after one minute.
What else here...??

Very well said!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom