Cruise? Cozumel? Or just stfu and pay for HI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gefilte Fish

Registered
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan a short 4-5 day vacation on the cheap due to some changes in my income. I only snorkel and to this day the best snorkeling has always been in Hawaii imo (was a former resident on the BI). I like snorkeling off the beach without having to take a tour (I'll do it if I need to but prefer not to), like the underwater life, and like not having to wear a wetsuit.

In any case, HI would cost me a minimum of $1,460 (5 nights cheap hotel, airfare, and cheap car off Turo) plus food and gas . All my favorite snorkeling spots are right on the beach.

I've never been to Cozumel which looked nice and figured I could stay in a condo in PDC not in the center of where all the nightlife is (I prefer being in the sea and not in a club!). I estimated $859 (5 nights condo and airfare) plus food, tours, and ground transportation.

I also looked into some cheap cruises that I can do around my work schedule (I know people hate cruises but I enjoy them if short on time). I can do (on different cruise itineraries) Key West, Bimini, Nassau (been there before but don't remember), Freeport, Grand Turk, Progreso, Grand Cayman (been before but don't remember), Mahogany Bay, Costa Maya, Labadee, and Grand Bahama. Cruise would cost anywhere from $700-$1,000 including airfare. Doesn't include any tours.

I just want a relaxing trip with at least 2 good snorkeling trips.

Thank you :)

Option 4: Spend $600 on a SCUBA certification and a quality dive mask and take the Cozumel trip as a diver for about the same price as the HI trip and prepare to be amazed! :)

Seriously though (I am actually serious with option 4), You know what you're getting in HI. Cozumel isn't really a "snorkeling spot" but I'm sure there are plenty of operators to take you out on one. There are some places down there in the RM area to take snorkel trips between Cancun and PDC. I've never taken a cruise, so no help for you there.....

Where are you buying your tickets? If you can get return tickets to HI from the mainland, plus hotel, plus a rental car for $1500 you've got a secret.
Same goes for that Coz airfare. Assuming you're not going in November.

There are nonstop flights from LAX to ITO for $300 on United. Car rentals for 5 days for under $400 on Turo. There are cheap hotels there. They are dumps but the rooms before tax are between $120-$150. Cozumel flights are via Cancun.

Unfortunately I have some medical issues and I'm unable to dive.

Okay thank you for the info on Cozumel. I was under the impression that snorkeling would be good given it being one of the largest reefs but I know appearances can be deceiving! I also wanted to explore ceynotes but right now I would rather get my fins wet!

I doubt I’d ever go on a cruise any time soon considering Covid. It’s just a Petri dish of Covid and norovirus

Go to Cozumel and go land based. Stay in an Airbnb or similar. Avoid all inclusives

I doubt you can find a place in Caribbean that can compare to Cpt. Cook's bay and for less than $1,500. Esp. if you're in LA and have to pay for the flight to MIA first.

Cozumel is not your best bet for snorkeling. Most sites are going to be too deep to see anything while snorkeling. Excellent diving but not for snorkeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom