Crotch strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I make Y shaped crotch straps for some BCD's from softer webbing because. There are a couple of photos in my photos.

You are supposed to leave enough slack in your horsecollar strap so you don't geld yourself when it is inflated. Luckily the thought processing centre is not located there but you never know with some.

And of course if you have nothing to crush then there will be no crushing.
They are not like THAT seam inside jeans.

I find them very comfortable and so effective on a standard any fabric BCD that you will be shocked at how your underwater capability immediately increases so much so that thought of bp/w purchase may leave your mind forever unless as I do special things where it may be a better option rather than just only wank factor which will be difficult anyway with a To Tight crotch stap.

Some recent posts on this thread suggest that a crotch strap is not necessary for a BP/w. Having only five dives on my BP/w (used a Zeagle Scout until now) and having only 70 dives, I will share my recent reflection on BP/w with crotch strap:

1. I was a bit underwhelmed. Can't say that I hated or even disliked the BP/w, but it didn't seem that much different from my Scout;
2. I had to struggle to get my arms into the BP/w and wished that the shoulder straps were easy to cinch tight. However, this was because I was not using the crotch strap correctly;
3. At TSandM's suggestion I loosened off the shoulder straps and tightened up on the crotch strap. My waist strap, instead of going across my waist, was now bowed downwards because of the crotch strap length. The longer shoulder straps allowed me to slip in and out of the rig effortlessly, but the crotch strap tightened up the rig once it was on and kept it glued to my back; and
4. I am still a bit underwhelmed, but I am going to stick with the BP/w for several more dives.

Summary: I can't say that you need a crotch strap with a BP/w, but for me it allowed me to loosen off the shoulder straps, making donning the gear easier. Loosening the shoulder straps without a crotch strap would make the unit float around too much for my liking.

Therefore crotch strap is good.
No crotch strap on back plate negates all the good things about it and one of the main reasons for its existence. No good.
Soup for you.
Very good.

I will chime in that I have been considering modifying my SeaQuest Libra for use with a crotch strap! I haven't quite figured out how to attach it yet. But I definitely need one to prevent my BCD from slipping up over my head.

With some creative help from a member of my LDS, we figured out how to attach a crotch strap to my Libra. We used 11/2" webbing and a "C" clip I think it is called. the clip didn't require sewing (but thanks for that suggestion) or altering the plastic frame. I tried Thursday night and am a happy camper. Like someone here mentioned, I don't have cinch down on the shoulder straps to keep the BCD stable.

I use a 1" strap on my BP/W and it prevents the BCD from riding up; it does not bother me (7 mil farmer john, DUI flex 50/50, 3 mil full or short).

I have intermittently used the slip saddle strap (crotch strap) on a Zeagle tech BCD. It is more stable with it on but generally not worth the effort of having it, using it, and drying it (which really is not to much work).

Perry

Back
Top Bottom