Crotch strap that is adjustable DURING the dive (no quick release buckle if possible)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oszillodrom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I dive a BP/wing (DSS backplate, Oxycheq wing), and I am very anal about having my crotch strap exactly the right length. Therefore I am searching for a crotch strap that I could adjust during the dive. I saw the Halcyon quick adjust strap, but I am not sure if this could be adjusted during the dive. I am also not really a fan of having a plastic quick release buckle, as in the Dive Rite adjustable crotch strap.

Are there any good solutions out there for me?

I thought about cutting the webbing and putting a steel buckle in there (probably on the back side), is this stupid?

The length of the crotch strap will change with different exposure protection, but once set for an exposure configuration shouldn't change.

Can you expand on why you want to change it during a dive? (FWIW I find it only useful when I'm on the surface)

I am bony and wear thin exposure protection, so if the BCD rides up, the steel buckle digs into my lower ribcage. If I have the crotch strap too short, it becomes uncomfortable - I like it 'just right', but it takes me several dives to adjust it for new exposure protection, as I can only adjust it between dives.

If you leave the crotch strap a little short you can adjust its tightness by adjusting your waist strap.

Why not use a buckle for a dive or two to get the length right, then measure, and replace with a standard strap?

Just for your knowledge: adjusting the halcyon, or every equivalent crotch strap is not easy during the dive. Probably, wearing a very flexible suit and no gloves you could afford it, but I'd prefer to do it when undone.

Said that, you could probably figure how to route the webbing in order to be adjustable as in the shoulder strap of recreational BCD. Probably you need a triglide with a bit of allowance, but it is not impossible - You can also customize a tri-glide with pliers and a file to ease the adjustable webbiing routing.
A rubber band or two to keep the extra webbing length streamlined should complete the work.

I thought about cutting the webbing and putting a steel buckle in there (probably on the back side), is this stupid?

Why not just take a piece of the webbing and put a triglide in front instead of fixed loop? -- The same way it's in the back. I don't expect it be very easy to adjust underwater, but it'll be doable.

what is the problem with an adjustable, fastex clip? that is what i use, easily adjustable and can disconnect if i have to get out of the harness in a hurry.

Why not just take a piece of the webbing and put a triglide in front instead of fixed loop? -- The same way it's in the back. I don't expect it be very easy to adjust underwater, but it'll be doable.
This is what I had done and use a serrated triglide.

Back
Top Bottom