Crotch strap that is adjustable DURING the dive (no quick release buckle if possible)?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is nice to be able to adjust the tension on the crotch based on conditions, suit, etc. To be honest, with the elastic component, i don't have to mess with it, the fastex allows a quick release option.

If you leave the crotch strap a little short you can adjust its tightness by adjusting your waist strap.
This is the perfect solution. Adjust the tightness with the waistband.

When I first got a BP/W I realized immediately that I wanted a quick release mechanism AND an elastic component. I was ridiculed on the forum for my comments about an elastic crotch strap, but time has shown the idea to be robust and useful.

I take a 6-inch piece of heavy bungi material and tie a loop on the plate (at the rear attachment point).
I have a small barrel clip tied to the crotch strap, so I can instantly add or remove the crotch strap - should i decide not to dive with one. I then have an independent loop of belt on one section of the fastex clip and the other mate of the fastex clip on the main piece of strap. This allows it to be adjustable and gives you some stretch when you bend over on the boat for example.

I've bought several things from strapworks, they seem to be a good company. these are cool belts for wearing in casual settings and for camping uses etc..

Side Release Buckle Straps

Where did you get the elastic belt? Strapworks elastic belt is thin and useless not nearly as rugged as that which you're using in your crotch strap.

I just use a loop of like 3/16" ??? heavy bungi material attached permananently to the back plate. Like a heavy cargo tie down type of material, it can hold 100 lbs without breaking i would assume. the circumference of the bungi loop is maybe 4-5 inches.. you only need an inch or two of stretch to make it snug...The belt itself is road kill nylon tie down straps from the interstate and has no elasticity..for practical purposes.

Lol years ago, my son got in a bit of a tiff with his third grade teacher when she told the kids that recycling is the best thing we can do for the environment.

My son immediately set her straight explaining that this is NOT true.

He had been taught (at home) that it is much more environmentally beneficial to engage in re-use rather than recycling. She really could not argue against that.

FYI, my best find to date for dive gear... I pulled a perfectly functioning SP MK20 with D-400 second and spg and depth console from some residential trash..

I went in a whole different direction on my recreational rig. The Zeagle Split Saddle. This has the QR buckles though which the OP didn't want.... The adjust-ability and the strap locations seem really ideal..... Diving it soon in the pool, and then it is heading to Key Largo in April...

He had been taught (at home) that it is much more environmentally beneficial to engage in re-use rather than recycling. She really could not argue against that.
OK, I stand corrected. I like the term 're-use' a whole lot better than 'recycle, anyway.

Reminds me of one of my favorite Robert Duvall lines from the movie, Lonesome Dove: ' Deets was never one to give up on a garment because of a little age.' Let's not give up on a bit of gear because of a little wear.

Recycle has a very different meaning than re-use. For example, not too long ago my son pulled a portable fire pit from the trash. Mostly functional but the concave steel bottom was rusted through making it unserviceable.

He wanted to go to the hardware store to buy some galvanized sheet metal to repair.. I said no, let's wait and we will find something. He was very skeptical. 3 weeks later the neighbor is throwing out a really nice looking dishwasher - with a stainless front panel...about 10 minutes of work yielded a more than large enough panel and several SS screws (for other projects)..

Much better to re-use than recycle..

And what is more satisfying than beating on a large piece of sheet metal with a hammer in a residential neighborhood? FYI.. I have better neighbors than my neighbors..... do.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom