Crotch strap - stitch or bolt?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bretagus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got my backplate and webbing, and was wondering what you all recommend for making the crotch strap. I was thinking about taking it to a tailor/shoemaker and having them stitch it up for me, but do you imagine a grommet and/or bolt would work just as well? Thanks in advance

Why not use a slide. Will give you some adjustability.
It also enables you to move the webbing from time to time as it starts to fray. . . extends the life of the crotch strap.

the K

Bretagus:
I just got my backplate and webbing, and was wondering what you all recommend for making the crotch strap. I was thinking about taking it to a tailor/shoemaker and having them stitch it up for me, but do you imagine a grommet and/or bolt would work just as well? Thanks in advance

I'd actually recommend you just go buy the DiveRite strap. :D It's only like $15, comes with the front loop stitched, and includes a neoprene sleeve to cover it. The only thing I didn't like was the keeper for securing the rear loop, so i just used a beefier one that I had laying around.

A slide words perfectly fine for me, is a heck of a lot cheaper than a specialized product and is easily adjustable if someone else uses it.

Haha a slide makes perfect sense. I knew I'd use one for the backplate attachment, but didn't think about it for the other. Thanks a million.

Bretagus:
I use the grommet/bolt (well, actually, no grommets, just burned holes.) I have two holes - one for cold water, one for warm.

It turns out that the weight of the bolt trims me out just right...:wink:

I secure mine using a slider. Make sure a get webbing that is softer than the webbing used for the harness. The DSS Hog Harness comes with a crotch strap made out of a much softer nylon than the stiff webbing used for the harness. It is very comfortable. With a wetsuit on you don't really notice it's there. If it were made out of the stiff webbing, I'm sure I'd feel it at times.

I have taped mine up. My ''cuddly'' tummy is enough to keep the bcd from slippin up

Divin'Hoosier:
I secure mine using a slider. Make sure a get webbing that is softer than the webbing used for the harness. The DSS Hog Harness comes with a crotch strap made out of a much softer nylon than the stiff webbing used for the harness. It is very comfortable. With a wetsuit on you don't really notice it's there. If it were made out of the stiff webbing, I'm sure I'd feel it at times.

I agree, in fact this is sort of how I ended up with the Dive Rite strap. I bought a FredT plate and his harness kit. The supplied webbing is about the stiffest thing I've ever seen in my life, and I couldn't imagine using this for a crotch strap :11: so I went to several LDS's looking for a few feet of softer webbing. After several failed attempts the owner of one shop suggested I just buy the DiveRite crotch strap. It's a very nicely made crotch strap, and as I mentioned it has the sewn loop in front and neoprene sleeve that covers it to make it even more comfortable. I guess if I had found some soft webbing at the first shop I would have just gone that route and been plenty happy, but for $15 the DiveRite strap has some nice features.

LG Diver:
I agree, in fact this is sort of how I ended up with the Dive Rite strap. I bought a FredT plate and his harness kit. The supplied webbing is about the stiffest thing I've ever seen in my life, and I couldn't imagine using this for a crotch strap :11: so I went to several LDS's looking for a few feet of softer webbing. After several failed attempts the owner of one shop suggested I just buy the DiveRite crotch strap. It's a very nicely made crotch strap, and as I mentioned it has the sewn loop in front and neoprene sleeve that covers it to make it even more comfortable. I guess if I had found some soft webbing at the first shop I would have just gone that route and been plenty happy, but for $15 the DiveRite strap has some nice features.

D.R. crotch strap is "1inch" strap, isn't it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom