Crotch Strap Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have rigged a number of BC's with crotch straps. It probably is not a big deal. First you have to realize that if the crotch strap should somehow fail, the consequences would be negligibe, so don't worry too much about it.

I generally try to drill 2 small holes in the plastic backplate and then run a cord or something through the hole(s) to make a small circular loop which serves as an attachement point. As mentioned, you need to be careful not to puncture the air cell, so blow it up full and then figure out a way to do it. Some BC's with a soft pack may be a little harder to figure a way. You might even have to hand sew a small loop to the soft part of the BC, but don't puncture it.

Show us a good photograph of the central bottom portion of the BC from each side.

Crotch Strap for SALE!

ok takeing pics now

there pic

Attachments

• bc1.jpg
    bc1.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 86
  • bc2.jpg
    bc2.jpg
    423.4 KB · Views: 78
  • bc3.jpg
    bc3.jpg
    445.7 KB · Views: 78
  • bc4.jpg
    bc4.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 74
  • bc5.jpg
    bc5.jpg
    427.5 KB · Views: 80
  • bc6.jpg
    bc6.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 77
They're what $6.00, use it to extend your dog leash.

I don't have a dog =0(

If it's a good BC that fits you just be sure to load up on the cummerbund when you don it. Most have an elastic element and will do a pretty good job at keeping the BC still. It may feel snug at first but by the time you're prone in the water you won't know it's there. A harness system & crotch strap works well but those that design jacket BCs are not idiots.

It looks easy to modify. If you can't drill a hole through the plastic hard pack without enganering the air cell, then I would try this:

Put the BC face down, remove the two lowest srews (probably nut and bolt) that hold the plastic tank rails

get 8 inches of 300 lb monofilament fishing line and 2 crimps
Then make a very small loop in each end of the mono using the crimps and then re-insert the bolts.screws through the loops and re-assemble. The line would look like this O____________O

The loop would then serve as an attachement for the crotch strap.

Edit: Another simpler idea, get a piece of nylon belt and then burn two bolt holes in it. Slip it under those plastic rails and the secure it by re-inserting the screws.bolts in the same manner as i suggested using heavy monoline. The belt would be tightly trapped under two plastic rails. That wouldn't take 5 minutes.

Attachments

• BC Mod.JPG
    BC Mod.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom