Crotch Strap Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wizard1325

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99

Attachments

• DIV1056D.jpg
    DIV1056D.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 233
this is my bc

Attachments

• BCJ_3860.jpg
    BCJ_3860.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 223
I'm not sure how would work for you.

Crotch straps, such as the DiveRite one in your photo, are designed to attach to metal backplates using a simple harness of 2" nylon webbing.

I'm afraid that you're going to have improvise this one.

It might be simplier to visit a local dive shop, preferably one that 'tech' oriented, so you can first see, in person, BC's or BP/wings with crotch straps in place, which will give you a better idea of the concept and how it's rigged, you will need to study that configuration and then figure out on your own how to customize your BC, because that Tusa BC is a recreational oriented BC and was never originally designed for a crotch strap. One suggestion, some of the custom BC work I've had done was performed by a local shoe repair shop as they have the gear to sew heavy webbing, however, don't expect a shoe repair shop to actually help you really design your mods as they will know nothing about scuba gear itself and will simply follow your instructions about what to make/sew.

this sucks

Looks like you'll have to drill (slot) into your plastic hardpack.. to make a rear connection..as long as you don't cut thru the air cell ..may have to offset that connection..(Tho I don't believe you will on this model). If so, you can attach to the extended hard plastic (either side of the back plate)
The bottom seam..on back of the jacket is "Way" too narrow..if the sewing machine operator gets on the wrong side of the seam..(very small seam) it'll puncture the air cell..
You can..attach the front connection thru the Tummy Clips you already have..not so much an issue. (just a challenge to work the buckle out (or cut and resew the rolled edge)
or..
You've got some small accessory rings on the bottom (front) side of the jacket...very small rings tho.. the webbing may be tough to thread thru..just an alternate place to attach the front clip..(will have to cut and sew the webbing together, once threaded thru the ring...kinda tight..as the rings are small..(I wouldn't do it that way, just an option)
Sorry, (nice jacket), it wasn't designed to add a crotch strap..but innovation, with out damage is good..whatever works..
You'll see, what I'm sayin', when you research a harness B/P set.
Heed the advise..to check (in person)..with an Instructor/Shop that's familiar with B/P's and harness sets..be a shame to lose the use of your jacket.
Hope this advise helps you..

Last edited:
Yea i read an forum talking about this guy had a problem with his bc sliding up on him on the surface this one does it too me all the freakin time and i have to like pull the shirt down so to speak...

so i heard about crotch straps how they work wonders and i ordered one...not 2 expensive so
i thought i would fix that with my B/C

now im pissed errr....

i could always give this one to the WIf or use as back up

what are good backplate and wigs b/c never heard of em

Yea i read an forum talking about this guy had a problem with his bc sliding up on him on the surface this one does it too me all the freakin time and i have to like pull the shirt down so to speak...

so i heard about crotch straps how they work wonders and i ordered one...not 2 expensive so
i thought i would fix that with my B/C

now im pissed errr....

i could always give this one to the WIf or use as back up

what are good backplate and wigs b/c never heard of em

Keep in mind, BC's are worse at riding up because of the way they're designed. The link you posted is a 1" crotch strap. The BC is still going to tend to ride up some, except now you have a very narrow nylon strap cutting into your *ahem*

You might like this even less than you liked the BC riding up...

Back
Top Bottom