Critter identification request

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill Parker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499

I would describe it as a 6" wide sessile animal shaped
like a pouch. I took this photo in the PCB area a few
days ago. Does anyone have any idea what it is?

Holy egregiously long links, Batman!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I didn't realize that Sea Hares were split like that. Cool!

Last edited:
The picture is fuzzy but I agree that it appears to be a sea hare. It's more curled up than usual which makes it look sort-of like a cowry with a mantle extending over the shell. A 6-inch sea hare would not be an unusual size, but a 6-inch cowry would be huge. Plus, sea hares are sometimes found around the jetties, but I have not seen nor heard of cowries being there.

I've seen cowries there, but I suspect collectors snatch them up frequently, or I'd see more.

Cowrie mantles have hundreds of small "fingers", which make them easier to distinguish from sea hares, though it often takes me a few minutes underwater to remember this.

I actually saw a swimming sea hare once, about 4ft off the bottom in Navarre Beach. It was one of the stranger sites I've encountered underwater.

+1 on the sea hare. Back in early April there were more on the St. Andrews jetties than I'd ever seen anywhere else, combined. The one in your photos is contracted and curled up. Here's a few other pictures from the jetties in April.
Sea Hare 001 4-18-12.jpgSea Hare 002 4-18-12.jpgSea Hare 003 4-18-12.jpg

I'm also going with sea hare. I saw about 5 of them in the Jetties while I was there in early June.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom