Critical Decision Making...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a tech diver, diver master, and ex-airline pilot...I can confirm the validity and applicability of this article. Well worth the read! Thanks for sharing Jim.

Posting from my iPad, please excuse unfortunate iCorrects.

Great article and the thought process applies well to technical diving.

Very interesting article; definitely applies to tech diving.

We may not have dive simulators but we can simulate dive scenarios mentally and verbally. Well-executed drills have something in common but don't really develop critical decision making or analytical skills the way the vast majority are taught and used. Old harassment dives are probably the closest thing available in diver training to the random emergency drills built-into flight simulators, but they test a very small subset of emergencies because divers are prepared for and expecting them.

I was very lucky to have a SCUBA instructor who was a mechanical engineer in real life and a very analytical guy. I was way too young to drive so my dad would pay for the gas so I could ride with him for the two hours to ocean training dives. Looking back, that time in the car taught me a great deal about diving and planted the seed for critical thinking that served me very well. We would talk about almost everything related to diving. I didn't realize it at the time but he would ask some probing questions and he would guide the discussion to analyze my replies whether right, wrong, or pretty close until we explored dozens of scenarios.

Obviously no structured diving class has the time to do that, even all the ones I took in the Navy years later. However, a similar environment evolved while supporting saturation dives. There was often a Master Diver, Diving Officer, a Hyperbaric Doc, and/or several of the most experienced sat divers in the Navy on watch with me monitoring the divers and the systems. There was tons of time to talk, especially at night -- unlike commercial operations there were only 4 people in sat so bell runs were during daylight hours only.

Mostly to stay awake, someone would ask a "what-if" question and we would bat answers around until we had all learned something. A lot of it was also motivated because sat diving was still pretty new and we were all a little anxious. These discussions evolved into drills that were later incorporated into the operational sat training program this dive system was later used for.

The same thing can be done with any group of two or more divers with time to kill. The best discussions tend to get replayed in the minds of individuals for a long time. They also evolve into discussion topics they share with other groups. It doesn't come close to the learning tool that modern flight simulators have evolved into, but is probably the next best thing.

Interesting Side Note:
Some divers reading this may not know that Ed Link, the inventor of the flight simulator, was also a significant pioneer in saturation diving and manned submersibles.

Thanks, Jim/oldschoolto

Last edited by a moderator:
Time critical decision making is important in many fields, as is time critical risk management. Both honestly go hand in hand. Training and drill can go a long way in creating kinesthetic procedures to deal with those critical times, but there is no replacement for real world experience under a variety of conditions. Long story short, the person who has experienced MANY adverse conditions has made Many time critical decisions...some of those decisions turned out better than others, which in turn makes future decisions easier to make. Unfortunately, that experience can easily work against you as well...the titanic comes to mind.

"One way of looking at this might be that for 42 years, I've been making small, regular deposits in this bank of experience, education and training. And on January 15 [2009] the balance was sufficient so that I could make a very large withdrawal." Capt. Chesley B. "Sully" Sullenberger III, US Airways Flight 1549 ("Miracle on the Hudson")

"The far object of a training system is to prepare . . .mentally [in order] to cope with the unusual and unexpected as if it were the altogether normal and give him poise in a situation where all else is in disequilibrium." --S.L.A. Marshall, Men Against Fire.

"The challenge of education is not to prepare a person for success, but to prepare him for failure." --Admiral James Stockdale.

---------- Post added November 8th, 2015 at 11:03 AM ----------

Time critical decision making is important in many fields, as is time critical risk management. Both honestly go hand in hand. Training and drill can go a long way in creating kinesthetic procedures to deal with those critical times, but there is no replacement for real world experience under a variety of conditions. Long story short, the person who has experienced MANY adverse conditions has made Many time critical decisions...some of those decisions turned out better than others, which in turn makes future decisions easier to make. Unfortunately, that experience [or lack of] can easily work against you as well...
". . .A small glitch took Flight 447 down, a brief loss of airspeed indications—the merest blip of an information problem during steady straight-and-level flight. It seems absurd, but the pilots were overwhelmed."
Air France Flight 447

Last edited:
Glad you guys enjoyed it.. Knowledge is a powerful tool...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom