CRESSI, ARCHIMEDE info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Makes sense - if they won't support the product, they can't stay competitive.

If were already a Cressi Archimede owner wanting to download dives I might try the TUSA or Apeks free download software if I already had an interface cable or could borrow a cable from a friend who has one. Like I posted, the press release on Cressi's web site for the software shows a PC display that looks a LOT like the display for the TUSA and Apeks software displays.

http://www.cressi-sub.it/prodotti.asp?lan=uk&id_c=7&id_p=215

Cressi wrote me back and said they're revising the software for 2005/2006.
And like I said, Diverssupply said they carried it but that they just didn't have any in at the time. They said they could get it in 2 weeks.

Hello All,

I have had my Archimede for about 18 months and I've had some trouble with it.

My main complaint is that the computer often goes into error mode without reason. I've found that wetting the immersion sensor contacts while out of the water will send the computer into an unrecoverable error condition. This has happened to me three times in 60 dives and usually when I really want the damn thing to work. Last week in Cozumel it went into error right before a really deep dive on the last day of eight days of diving.

Also as originally shipped the cover over the battery compartment was insuficiently tightened. After the first dive (luckily in fresh water) there was moisture visible under the battery cover. The battery compartment is isolated from the electronics so I just opened the cover, dried it out and tightened it better. I never had another leak there.

On the good side, I like the organization of controls and the large display.

Anyway, you wanted the truth.

Pete

max:
I tried searching the board for any information on the Cressi Archemede computer. Does anyone have experience using it or any info on reliability.
thank you
max
I have used the archinede console for the last two years. while very user friendly in regards to the use of nitrox and general ease of use, I have encountered a few problems. The PC interface is very unwieldy and hard to use, also the software I received will not let me switch from Bar to PSI. After contacting Cressi, they sent me a patch that was supposed to clear up the problem. It did not. Six months later, I am still waiting. This coupled with having to manually enter beginnging and ending air pressure is one of the things I definitely do not like about this computer. That and the fact I have yet to be able to find a display guard to protect it from scratches etc. After the acrobatics of getting the download to work (serial port, rubber bands etc.) the information from the display, except for the user defined beginning and ending air pressure is very helpful complete with indicators of to fast ascent etc. Overall it is a user friendly computer with a lot of good features.

You can't go wrong. No one has been injured with this computer and it is very safe to dive with. i compared it to the uwatec aladin prime.

It's got a large display ( witch is nice in dark or deep areas )
More user frendly
In the dive log function the cressi display more info ( 3 pages long ) very nice.

The only thing we don't like about it, is the temprature ( it takes about 3 hours to adjust itself )

Seiko makes them for cressi

good luck !!

The new USB interface and the plier-like cradle are much better designed, and easier to use. However, I'm having a major problem with the software. The visually graphed dive does not correspond to the numerical data transferred.

In one case, the graph even presents an absolutely bizzare 330 foot almost straight down and straight up again dive, replete with warnings...folowed by a fairly normal dive. I'm not a free-diver, and have never been down to 330 feet, and would never go to such a depth in less than a submarine. Has anyone else had similar problems?

I haven't had this issue with the clothespin USB interface and the TUSA software so far on the TUSA IQ-700. I don't know if you could use the TUSA software on the Cressi model - I feel confident the TUSA and Apeks software are the same except maybe for the brand displayed on the wallpaper if that option is turned on. You could try downloading the TUSA software and then try transferring afew dives from the Cressi DC.

Just curious - did the software change when Cressi released the 2 mix version of the computer? Just wondering if there's something that's not upwardly compatible perhaps.

I do like the way the new 2 mix Cressi allows for user configurable alarms on ppO2 as well as a factory set alarm at 1.6 ATA on both mixes. Maybe TUSA will add that as an upgrade in the future.

The sunnto viper is very well made I know people who swear by them. if you happen to be looking for an air-inigrated computer the sunnto cobra in a really good bye i dive one myself and i have almost 200 dives on it and have never had a problem

gert:
You can't go wrong. No one has been injured with this computer...

I dropped one on my foot... hurt like hell, but that was the entire console. Perhaps the wrist unit would not have injured me. :wink:

Hmmm - a new market potential - steel-toed booties for dive shop owners and employees. They would be dual function as they could also be part of non-ditchable weight underwater. Ankle weights would become a thing of the past.

Of course, they would be more expensive, as they would have to be ANSI certified.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom