CRESSI, ARCHIMEDE info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The kit took forever to get on the market, IIRC. I got in the habit of recording paper logs.

It keeps about 30 of my dives.

Peter

Only about 20 dives on it, but it is easy to use. I especially like the fact that it has real buttons. ( I laugh when my dive buddies have to wet the contacts on theirs -- it's never an easy task for them.)

Only about 20 dives on it, but it is easy to use. I especially like the fact that it has real buttons. ( I laugh when my dive buddies have to wet the contacts on theirs -- it's never an easy task for them.) The use of it is very intuitive. My only complaint has already been raised - you have to set it for "air" or it assumes that you have an O2 level of 50%. It will still work, but you'll hear occasional alarms down under. During your surface interval, you can reset it to "air". The only thing messed up is that the bar graph will show a high level of O2. The N2 will be correct.

Does anyone have any information on the PC interface?
I haven't found any descriptions of it or many places to buy it.
When I called Scuba Toys, they said it doesn't exist.
But when I called Diverssupply, they said it does, but it's not in stock.
Are people using it?
Another thread (about the Suunto line) shows people making their own interfaces for next to nothing. Anyone doing that?

As for your question about which to get;
I got an Archimedes wrist for my wife, largely due to three factors - 1) the safe model it uses (as reported in comparison reviews on several sites) and 2) the huge, clear display (so my wife would be able to read it even if her contacts got knocked out), and 3) ease of use with large, simple buttons (she's not a techie, nor interested in studying manuals). Plus, I wanted her to be able to operate it easily, even if wearing gloves in the cold-water springs.

She's been pleased with it so far (20+ dives, air & nitrox, fresh & salt). No problems yet. The one complaint would be that once you put on the plastic protective guard, the bar graphs become a little harder to read along the sides. IMHO, these should have been made larger/clearer.

cra2

cra2:
Does anyone have any information on the PC interface?
I haven't found any descriptions of it or many places to buy it.
When I called Scuba Toys, they said it doesn't exist.
But when I called Diverssupply, they said it does, but it's not in stock.
Are people using it?
Another thread (about the Suunto line) shows people making their own interfaces for next to nothing. Anyone doing that?
cra2

http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=SeikoComputerCable

Not sure why ScubaToys told you that - it's on their website.

Yeah - weird, that Scubatoys told you that. Did you talk to Larry? I just bought one of these cables from Scubatoys this month for my TUSA IQ-700, but I haven't used it yet.

Cressi Sub's had a news release about the Archimede PC Interface since Dec. 2004. The software display pic looks just like the one that appears from using the software for downloading the TUSA IQ-700 and / or Apeks Quantum.

http://www.cressi-sub.it/prodotti.asp?lan=uk&id_c=7&id_p=215

Cressi Sub's new news is the 2 gas mix version Archimedes 2 - but they indicate a different algorithm and number of tissue compartments used in the Archimede 2 than in the TUSA IQ-700 and Apeks Quantum - interesting - since they are all evidently manufactured by Seiko.

http://www.cressi-sub.it/prodotti.asp?lan=uk&id_c=7&id_p=307

Hey Scott -

I don't download on any of my computers. The average depth readout lets me determine my SAC and I am not particularly interested in the actual profile.

I have not found any DIY solutions, and I don't think the $120 is worth it. YMMV!

Peter Doege

WarmWaterDiver:
they indicate a different algorithm and number of tissue compartments used in the Archimede 2 than in the TUSA IQ-700 and Apeks Quantum...

Weird. They seem to be advertising that they are using a folded RGBM ala Suunto and Mares.

Keep in mind that they used to claim that the Archimede had a gauge mode too. As much as I like my Cressi I am taking the web description with a grain of salt until I see an actual computer.

Peter

pdoege:
Weird. They seem to be advertising that they are using a folded RGBM ala Suunto and Mares.

Keep in mind that they used to claim that the Archimede had a gauge mode too. As much as I like my Cressi I am taking the web description with a grain of salt until I see an actual computer.

Peter

Cressi-Sub does admit the ability to enter 'Gauge Mode' is a NEW, IMPROVED feature of the Archimedes 2 on their site. In fact, they downright brag about this great new feature for the new model! Maybe you could wheedle them into a free upgrade / trade-in if you pressed the issue - nothing to lose!

The number of compartments (12) and half-times (5 to 640 minutes) listed are the same as for the TUSA IQ-700 and Apeks Quantum - but the algorithm isn't - those 2 advertise ZH-L16 with 'tweaks' while Cressi specifically states they use ZH-L8 with 'tweaks'. To confuse matters more Dive Rite says they use 9 theoretical tissue compartments for the Nitek Duo, which Cressi indicates they used for the one mix version of the Archimede. ???? Can the folks who write the sales literature and owners' manuals for all these dive computers all count up to their personal complement of fingers and toes (sum total), much less calculate MOD's and turn pressures?

No telling, but one thing the TUSA etc. software shows you is each individual tissue compartment's calculated saturation level through each dive profile downloaded - I'm a data freak and I really find this to be cool! More info than just ending 'PGT" for the dive!

Ok... Here's the deal... while both computers are made by
Seiko - they have slightly different features. The download cable on our page will fit either, but at last check, they had no software for the cressi, while dive rite, and tusa do. And cressi has not been able to give me any good answer for if and when they will have it. Overall... hate to say it... we're punting on cressi products all together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom