CRESSI, ARCHIMEDE info please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Max

Registered
Reaction score
I tried searching the board for any information on the Cressi Archemede computer. Does anyone have experience using it or any info on reliability.
thank you
max

drogerstn once bubbled...
I recently purchased an Archimede computer, but I have only had it in the pool.

Any updates on the Archimede? Do you still like it?

First of all, Welcome to the board.

My buddy who doesn't believe in frills bought the Cressi Archimedes computer. He used it on several (6) deco dives to 170 ft. After we all made him remove the conservative setting so we could all finish Decos together it was great. Having the conservative setting enabled added an extra 10 minutes to the dive. The computer performed impressively. Display was very easy to read underwater. I would purchase one for my own use if I didn't already have two computers.

DSAO

nicodaemos--Yes, I like the Archemide computer. Its easy to read, use, and understand.

There is only one level of optional safety factor when diving on air; I've seen some computers that have multiple levels to choose from. I have only dived with the safety factor "off", so the computer was operating at its "standard" level. I have not gone on more than 2 dives in one day with it; on those dives, the NDL's were basically the same as several other computers being used by other divers with similar profiles.

I am not too interested in downloading data from the Archemide to a PC, so I haven't compared any software or hardware for this type of operation among the various dive computers.

Also, I have not used nitrox, but it has the option to adjust the PO2 setting.

I considered the Suunto Vyper, but wanted to buy from my LDS if it seemed reasonable to do so. My LDS doesn't sell Suunto, but carries the Archemide. I have been very satisfied with my purchase.

daylight, drogerstn -- thanks for the info.

I'd like to pick up a wrist mounted non-air computer and am right now considering the Suunto Vyper and the Cressi Archimede. I figure either one of these will last me a good amount of time until I buy more gear and then upgrade to an air-integrated model. At least, that's the plan.

Suunto definitely seems to have a great name amongst divers, but the Vyper model is essentially unchanged since it was introduced. Some would say why change it if it isn't broken, but the field of electronics is one in which you can always make the hardware smaller, the display bigger or add the ability to play .mp3's. :shaking:

Anyway, the Archimede seems to use a well known and well tested model according the divernet article. Additionally it seems to have a great display, easily changed battery and easy to use interface. Mmmm.... you know I'd already have one right now if any of my local dive shops carried this in stock. :)

Being able to download my dives and view the graph is really important to me right now as I'm learning this sport. I can't think of a better way to see yourself and how you're doing.

daylight, does your friend have any info on the pc interface?

I'm reviving this old thread because I'm considering the same computers discussed here - Archimede and Vyper. They seem pretty similar in function and conservatism. The Vyper has a better backlight, but I like the fact that the Archimede reports nitrogen loading. Also, the Cressi is quite a bit less expensive.

Now that these two units have been on the market for a few years, can anyone give a long-term user review? Have there been any reliability issues, particularly with the Archimede?

I have about 200 dives on my Cressi. Never a problem.

In the early days, I would occasionally forgot to set the mix. The computer hates that and punishes you by maxing out the 02 clock and using air as the gas.

Bah.

I've done that twice in 200 dives, so not a big issue.

When I bought it, it was advertised as having a gauge mode. From what I can tell it does not. It does have a nice reset button so if you bend it on a deco dive you can just reset it. I've never bent the computer as I always do its full schedule regardless of tables.

Peter

I've been using the Archimede since April and have about 90 dives or so on it (deepest depth 135) and I must say I've been very pleased. Very easy to read and understand display, easy to adjust and I like the menu system on it. It's made for Cressi by Seiko and is being offered with different features by a few different mfg's (Dive Rite, TUSA.)

I've used UWATEC and Oceanic computers in this past and I find the Seiko made ones (Cressi etc.) to be a good middle ground between the two.

Is there a DIY solution for downloading the logs, or did you cough up the $120 for the "official" kit?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom