creative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viceroy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm currently using a pair of Mares Avantti HP closed heel fins, but want to upgrafe to something better.

I either dive inland in a local quarry where the HP fins are just fine because they are small, and don't cause too much of a disturbance which is great since the quarry has a silty bottom.

I also do quite a bit of diving at the coast where conditions can range from no current and a little surge to very strong currents (the kind where you can drift over 2km in about 30 minutes) and very strong surge

I'd like something that isn't too long but that also provides me with ample power. My kick strokes are not that powerfull, and I tend to have a very small kick.

Any advice is apprecieated

I don't think you can go far wrong with Avanti Quattros. However, I would change to adjustable rather than closed heel so that they will accommodate various types of booties.

BTW, it's more the type of kick you use rather than the length of the fin that makes the difference in how much silt you stir up. A variety of kicks plus good bouyancy control usually equals little or no viz problems.

~SubMariner~

viceroy...

I too use the Quattros and have been pleased with the power they generate. As for the stirring things up...SubMariner is right. There are different fin kicks that you use and good bouyancy is a must too. Good Luck and I do recommend getting an open heal fin with boots.

Dive Safe...

Aardal

:peace:

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've seen a couple of posts about split fins being better for those divers with a smaller kick cycle...

Whats the word on those sorts of fins?

Scubapro just came out with the full foot Twin-Jet fins. I haven't tried the full foot style yet, but I have the open heel adjustable kind, and they are awesome! So much easier going against a current, and you save so much energy!

If you normally dive off a boat or are used to the full foot kind, I would suggest trying those. They are a bit pricey, so if you can do a "try before you buy" I would do that.

I know our shop owner tried them and absolutely LOVED them. Only thing he doesn't like about them is they only come in yellow (VERY bright) or blue right now...so you can't be "stealth diver" in them.

I've read most of the threads on ScubaPro's TwinJet Graphite fin, I purchased a pair and I am not happy. First of all I have only used the things about 12 times and the buckle is done already, I have to replace that. Secondly I find I don't get the thrust I would like, They more tire me than anything. I tried adjusting my kick to fast small kicks but that to me make me use more energy than if Im was kicking with big slow kicks. I am planing to purchase the Decor Tiger fin, as I need a fin to accomodate a slow big kick so i won't tire that beasily. Any ideas......

Regards
Trickdaddy

So far I've been pretty happy with the Tusa Xpert Zoom fins I bought. Haven't put a lot of strain on 'em yet, mostly in-pool work. They've got an angle just past the foot pocket to put them in line with the leg and not the foot (supposed to be more efficient) as well as being split. In the pool I was noticing a lot less effort than the scubapro paddle fins I had before. Don't know if that'll help or not, just my 2¢ worth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom