Creation vs. Evolution

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
grazie42:
This thread is starting to turn into a philosophical equivalent of MOF vs NMOF...(as always MOF are winning :wink:)

My favourite tidbit:
Creationist: Nothing can come from nothing!
Evolutionist: Where did God come from?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Diver Dennis:
That must be very interesting work Tassie. What types of samples do you date?

Where I work we are tying together the history of an ancient and eroded volcanic belt that was once (300 million years ago) much like current day Philippines or Indonesia. Overlying it are much younger rocks (100 to 65 million years old) that contains many excellent dinosaur fossils.

To date lavas and intrusions you take a rock sample and extract fresh grains of assorted minerals (amphiboles, biotite, zircons) that do not ‘leak’ the products of radioactive decay. You then measure the ratio of argon isotopes, argon/potassium isotopes, or uranium/lead isotopes in these mineral grains (there’s also a few other isotope pairs used; each has their own accuracy, useful age range and cost). After measuring several samples you get a fairly precise age.

Interbedded with the lavas are sediments that hold a range of fossils. As each extinct species preserved in the fossil record has a distinct, and usually very limited, age range the identification of a fossil is another quick way to nail the age of a rock formation.

For younger stuff (to a geologist anything under 30 million years is young) you can also measure the ratio of carbon isotopes in organic material (charcoal, bones etc).

Now can we get back to the existence of god, and is He MOF or NMOF?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Tassie_Rohan:
Now can we get back to the existence of God, and is He MOF or NMOF?
He doesn't need a mask.

El Orans:
He doesn't need a mask.

Blasphemer!

The book of PADI demands that one wears a mask. Next you will say He does not carry a snorkel!

Repent thou heretic ways.

Tassie Tassie Tassie...

How can you be so naive?! Don't you know that the Khan's (big heyzeus believers) had thousands of slaves creating those fancy bones and burying them? Thats why they tried to take over all of asia, so they could bury those bones all over the world!!!

its just a conspiracy man... fossils.. pfft! can't believe you would fall for it...

Mike Veitch:
Tassie Tassie Tassie...

How can you be so naive?! Don't you know that the Khan's (big heyzeus believers) had thousands of slaves creating those fancy bones and burying them? Thats why they tried to take over all of asia, so they could bury those bones all over the world!!!

its just a conspiracy man... fossils.. pfft! can't believe you would fall for it...

funny Mike, an islamic collegue in University years ago told me exactly the same thing about fossils (well, not the Khan's part but the fact they are invented). He was a creationist at the extreme and didn't believe in dinosaurs or cavemen.

hhahaha

so do i get any originality points at all then?

when i think Kublai Khan i always think of the Olivia Newton John song Xanadu..

:eyebrow: mwahahahaha

Here's another of my favorite little nuggets that's almost always overlooked in these discussions...
One part of God's creation is time.
All science depends on it. There is no scientific fact or theory that doesn't have time as a component to it. You cannot measure distance, or temperature, or mass, or velocity, or frequency or wavelength, or forces, or make any observation or draw any scientific conclusion without a temporal component.
And it's God's time :)
Rick

unfortunately, the bible, coran and other religious books have been written by humans and not God himself so we cant be certain about anything unless he appears and speak to us personnaly, and this happened to only a few persons, like Charlton Heston. I believe in God but some humans kill, destroy and do evil in his name :sad: Just like some people use the cajun name to sell crappy can food that has nothing to do with cajuns at all :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom