Creating a dive computer with Location and Communications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I'm sure you can use a sonar to map out your surroundings and keep track of your position relative to the relief... to me, dead reckoning off the IMU sounds easy in comparison.

I guess there would be less drift than an IMU system at the expense of being more complicated. The Ariadna guys were talking about 10m error which is quite awesome

It was in some other thread: they'll track your buddy's location using two units and "some other technology". :yawn:

If I have to use a computer to figure out where my buddy is, I will probably not be diving with that "buddy" again.

Not sure but I think it has a sonar pinger system which they might be using for navigation...
from what i can get fromthe article it uses sonar to xmit communications. adn it is not a position determining device. The OP asked about a communicatins and a position / location device in it.

If I have to use a computer to figure out where my buddy is, I will probably not be diving with that "buddy" again.

I suppose boat location, that IIRC liquivision had, could be useful on non-guided non-drift boat dives. But for the buddy, yeah, if you don't know where they are, you're two solo divers.

Now we are thinking that adding a dive computer would create better acceptance. The product could be used as a back up computer whilst allowing the user to explore other functions in the device.
There seems to be a lot of open source resources available on the web for an algorithm such as Bulhmann. The implementation doesn't look that difficult. Would be interested to hear feed back if such an approach would be more acceptable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom