Creating a dive computer with Location and Communications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hand signals work well with divers next to you...what about the boat captain from 10m or even 1m below?

I use my SMB for signaling sometimes when on a deco stop (pull it down to let them know we have a few minutes left, or some other pre-defined signal), and I have sent up a slate before with a message when something was needed like an additional bottle. If the boat wanted to check on something they have sent down a DM.

Wow first time some one on SB said "Navigation is essential" thank you sir! I guess decompression is essential and dive tables accomplished this tasks for decades as well.

Navigation is a basic skill we start teaching in an Open Water course.

Yes, dive tables worked, but you still needed a timing and depth device, and dive computers do it more efficiently at a reasonable cost. The average cost of a dive computer in use is far below $1000.

As I said, I wish you well, just offering some realistic advice based on my observations. Maybe we will see you at DEMA in the future.

Thank you sir I really appreciate your critique and point of views which are valuable! Dunno, it is a long and winding road that stretches to Dema...never know though :)

That is cool. I don't quite see an average vacay diver me going through a boot sequence like that at a start of a day (and I am an obsessive computer gadget geek), but it is still sooo coool.
Please do nto confuse what p posted as a recreatoinal thing. these are molitary applications where tehy can sail around the world and have an error of just a couple of feet whenthey return.

Add a GPS chip (tied to wet sensor so it shuts off in the water) to take fixes topside. The interesting -- in the comp. sci. sense -- exercise will be to fit the logged trajectory to GPS points. Particularly on drift dives... :D
GPS does not work underwater. You could use gps to extablish an accurate start point as opposed to a relative one.

Thanks Landon, very cool looking device!. Good to see they are getting good traction on kick starter. What do you think about the price point USD1k+?

I am confused does this track your location? It does not look like it.

It was in some other thread: they'll track your buddy's location using two units and "some other technology". :yawn:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom