Craziness continues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, reading this thread has been a real eye-opener for me. It's crazy how things can change so fast. I'm glad you guys are all OK and am hoping for the lost diver. Thanks for posting your experiences guys :)

Is this a time of the year thing you think or more just random craziness??

Last edited:
Today my trip ends in Cozumel, I could say that this was my first time experiencing currents. During the week I just had two crazy dives that lasted 30 min because of the currents in which I was kind of fighting to stay close to the wall and to keep my depth. Some dives even with the fast current in one direction (not up and down) where pretty good drift dives.

But yes its been crazy and scary!!!!

Buton and AaronRiot and all the other Cozumel newbies out there reading these threads - I hope all this does not deter you from visiting Cozumel. It really is very rare to have these issues with downcurrents.
Fast currents at certain sites.... heck yeah, that is the norm. I have been to Paseo de Cedral over a dozen times and it can vary from good current moving at a reasonable pace, to blazing fast blur wild E-ticket ride. Ditto Punta Tunich... but both of those dive sites are favorites as the current brings in more fish and bigger fish. The wildest ride I had a Cedral was when we saw some huge nurse sharks, like every coral head had one under it ! And I always see turtles, HUGE angelfish, and nurse sharks at Punta Tunich.

There are ALSO plenty of dive sites with milder current due to location and reef structure. Most people go to Cozumel to enjoy the current and the ride, slow or fast, it always means great vis and tons of fish.

robin

Down currents are rare, but Coz does get them. I don't remember a DM ever briefing on what to do in one. Maybe it needs to be discussed more here...?

Down currents are rare, but Coz does get them. I don't remember a DM ever briefing on what to do in one. Maybe it needs to be discussed more here...?
I don't think they should alarm anyone. I've been going to Cozumel a few times a year for many years now and I've only experienced it once. Fast current on some sites, like robin noted, yeah, that's part of Cozumel diving and MOST DMs, if they have divers in the group who they don't feel can handle it, they'll stay away from the sites known for a faster ride.

My comment about the briefings was really more specific to odd times like this week, when there's been a pattern of crazy, changing, unpredictable current, and down currents popping up all over the place (according to posts I'm reading, I'm not there). I would hope that responsible shops and DMs, in this type of situation and with several days in a row of unpredictability, would be including some details on safety and how to handle the possibility of a down current as part of the briefing.

Cozumel is still one of the most affordable Caribbean dive destinations from the US and Canada, and some of the best diving in the Caribbean too. It does attract a mix of levels of divers, lots of less experienced or those who might only dive one week a year. While DMs aren't baby sitters, with the diving in Cozumel being DM led group diving, I think that does put a bit more responsibility on the DM and the dive operators as far as informing divers and adding in more safety and skills info to briefings if the conditions of the diving warrant it.

Question -- do the Coz Ops not brief the down currents because they don't want to scare their customers?

This year will be my fourth trip there, at ~15 dives per trip. I've never received a "what to do in a down current" briefing.

It has in no way deterred me! It just brings up an issue I haven't thought all that much about as a new diver. Personally, I've never been on a drift dive... although I have a date with the St. Lawrence in a couple months and of course the Coz Invasion shortly after :D

I've done my share of surfing, and have spent a number of summers in the white water shooting rapids, but I'm sure an unexpected current while diving is a different monster all together.

"Down currents are rare, but Coz does get them. I don't remember a DM ever briefing on what to do in one. Maybe it needs to be discussed more here...?"

If you don't mind I think I'll pose the question in the newbie forum, hopefully there will be some good discussion and us greenhorns will learn a thing or two about handling ourselves in an unexpected and potentially dangerous situation.

I have actually been REALLY looking forward to the drift diving, especially this summer in Coz!!

Haha, why would I mind Aaron? Nice of you to ask, but go for it. I don't post in the New Divers forum, I'm just not gentle enough with my thoughts, but you should get some good answers - a variety I bet.

The St.Lawrence is cool diving and there you have the added requirement of staying down and holding on when you hear BOOM BOOM BOOM of a freighter. :eek:

I liked Scubawife's suggestion to have the DM's do a special briefing when the currents are stronger/more hazardous than usual (such as now). I agree with Jax..we've been going at least three times/year since 2005 and haven't gotten a"what to do in a down current" briefing either, however, we haven't been to Coz during "crazy" current occasions. Maybe that's a good excuse to give DiverKat next year when she asks why I don't get on her famous March in Coz list.:)

Back
Top Bottom