Craziness continues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I'm in a situation where the Nautilus would theoretically work and I stress 'theoretically', I'm in a situation where it's simply a waiting game to get picked up. The Nautilus might reduce the wait time by contacting a boat and getting you out of the water. "might" again. If I'm in a Nautilus situation, I'm pretty sure I'm in a situation where a signal mirror is going to be also effective, or a light if it's at night. I simply don't think the Nautilus is much of a rescue tool. It's range is truly suspect, any weather or waves and that range is even worse.

A PLB is a fail safe worst case scenario rescue device, and that's what I personally only care about. A working PLB will save your life, it will get you found without a doubt, the Nautilus? Not so much. If I'm outside Nautilus range I don't want to end up as fish food. If I'm inside the Nautilus effective range it's just a waiting game anyways and there are plenty of effective signaling devices that rival the Nautilus. I personally see the Nautilus major use as you're in the water with no danger and the boat doesn't see you yet and you just don't want to wait 5 minutes for them to figure out you're there so you hail them.

In the scuba mau incident would a Nautilus have gotten them out of the water? Seems dubious at best, all a discussion about it's limited range. Would a PLB have gotten them out of the water? Absolutely.

Since the Mau boat was brought up, I think that is a good example. Quite a rare case, but a PLB would have been great, especially if they had not got a call out. And of course if someone got it off the boat. It sure is an absolute fail safe and wonderful and terrific if you are heading for fish food. How many divers cross the channel in a panga? How many people get in the water in CZM and there isn't someone looking, generally?

As it was, there was an active search and I think the Nautilus would have worked great talking to a helicopter or even the yacht. I base that on the great range report that Dave gave in CZM. Didn't the divers there also report seeing assets searching for them but were unable to signal them? I just think the Nautilus is a decent idea given the stories I have read on here and heard there about people floating a while. I guess if you are like Ron and don't mind floating a bit or swimming to shore, then sure don't bother with one. In fairness though most of the divers who get alone in the water in CZM specifically are going to be in range of Aldora's tower, according to Dave, if nothing else. More likely though there will be some boats too.

Of course if you are ALL about being independent, get both? Now I know DD will attach his to his snorkeling vest, but what about the rest of you? Will you attach it to you from stepping on the boat to getting off? (That of course applies to either option.)

I wonder if I could get Nautulis to fund a test trip? I could meet with the Navy guys and do a little testing. Hmmmm......

---------- Post added April 4th, 2012 at 02:03 PM ----------

In the scuba mau incident would a Nautilus have gotten them out of the water? Seems dubious at best, all a discussion about it's limited range. Would a PLB have gotten them out of the water? Absolutely.

Come to think about it, I would say yes. They did obtain rescue services using a 800 meg radio. Probably a VHF would have worked as well. Not as good as a PLB for sure, but it did work.

Ron, I've been in touch with them, and they can offer me some pretty good pricing on these canisters. Since they fit a FastFind they will easily fit a ResQlink, since they are smaller.

I'm going to get a couple to check out at least, then if they are of high quality we can offer them as part of the rental package for a lower cost, if not include for no cost vs the very expensive McMurdo version.

Also, if anyone is interested in purchasing I can try to organize a group buy or at least offer good pricing I think. Details to follow once I get one and see what its like...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom