Crapola!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

undefined:
Hence the reason some of us (like me) solicit the seller to list the item with a Buy-It-Now of a price we are willing to pay. eBay and Paypal both get their cut :D

eBay charges HUGE bux to the seller for BIN.

HUGE.

Its another attempt to prevent the side deal - especially in Motors. I will use it for selected proruct categories for stuff under $250. Over that, its just too expensive.

Its a waste of money to a seller. Cool for a buyer, but limp for sellers. The only thing good about it for Sellers is stuff with BIN sells, on average, for MORE than the same items at auction.

Again - trading time (or risk) for cash. Want it now? Pay me more. It just not worth the extra 1% for the higher priced stuff.

---
Ken

Don't get me wrong - I still buy auction items, I just don't bid manually anymore. Find an item, if it looks like I can negotiate a deal with the seller I'll give that a try. If not, pick a price and load a snipe. Bidding is too prone to emotional response that costs too much money. Sniping is easier - fire and forget. If I get an email that says I won, I pay. If not, keep looking. :D

undefined:
Don't get me wrong - I still buy auction items, I just don't bid manually anymore. Find an item, if it looks like I can negotiate a deal with the seller I'll give that a try. If not, pick a price and load a snipe. Bidding is too prone to emotional response that costs too much money. Sniping is easier - fire and forget. If I get an email that says I won, I pay. If not, keep looking. :D

Exactly, Ebay is all about (along with "managing risk") keeping it emotionless.

Mo2vation:
eBay charges HUGE bux to the seller for BIN.

HUGE.

Its another attempt to prevent the side deal - especially in Motors. I will use it for selected proruct categories for stuff under $250. Over that, its just too expensive.

Hmmm, considering it's a maximum of twenty-five cents (on items over $50) and a fraction of the insertion fees, I wouldn't call it HUGE.

And Ebay doesn't make up numbers or pull them out of a hat, they base them on sales metrics. They charge for things like BIN and Gallery and such because they have proven to draw more buyers and greater sales.

It's one way to separate the professional power sellers from the housewives running garage sales. The pros know it pays off to invest in such auction services.

Mo2vation:
I know you wanna hit with me on this eBay subject, seeing as you have had 600 - 900 eBay transactions (and I'm flattered, really) but you are way out of your league here my friend, Hound. You need to trust me on this.

I'm done with the eBay lessons for today. Wanna know more, get my DVD.

---
Ken

Um, that was my FEEDBACK numbers, which are about 30% higher than yours, master.

Your suggestion that they only pretend to warn against fee avoidance but really don't pursue it because they get you on the Paypal fees is hilarious, kinda like those who used to convince themselves that Microsoft really *wanted* Windows to be bootlegged so they could sell you Excel and Word.

Now maybe they haven't got you because you are small potatoes and lucky enough to have not been reported (usually from competitors), but don't delude yourself into thinking they are winking at you and don't really care. Or at least don't get too reliant on your Ebay income.

I think the teacher needs to take a few more classes.

Mo2vation:
This bidder probably sent a note to the seller with an offer, the seller bit it up until they were high bidder, then the seller shut it down. I'm not 100% sure, but that's how these usually go.

I'm 100% sure it didn't go like that, since there is only one bid that had to be the starting bid. Need a lesson on how proxy bidding works?

ReefHound:
Hmmm, considering it's a maximum of twenty-five cents (on items over $50) and a fraction of the insertion fees, I wouldn't call it HUGE.

And Ebay doesn't make up numbers or pull them out of a hat, they base them on sales metrics. They charge for things like BIN and Gallery and such because they have proven to draw more buyers and greater sales.

It's one way to separate the professional power sellers from the housewives running garage sales. The pros know it pays off to invest in such auction services.

I was thinking of Reserve Auctions.

Reserve fees are ginormous.

Thanks for the clear up.

The Pros also know how to navigate ebay without paying all of those bogus charges, too. I've made more money off of eBay than 99% of the sellers there. Its getting harder every month to make money on eBay. Its not the cash cow it once was for the seller. Only eBay is getting rich off eBay these days.

---
Ken

I'm with you on the insane reserve price fees. I can't believe anyone still uses them!

I actually just bought a notebook on eBay thanks to a user who set a reserve. The irony is that the reserve was about $250 less than the notebook is worth based on similar sales, but a reserve price + poor picture = bargain. Contacted the seller on his third time listing the notebook and asked if I bid it up to his reserve if he'd close the auction. Got the notebook for a heck of a good price! I feel bad that he had to pay at least twice for listing fees + reserve fees.... :D

ReefHound:
Um, that was my FEEDBACK numbers, which are about 30% higher than yours, master.

Your suggestion that they only pretend to warn against fee avoidance but really don't pursue it because they get you on the Paypal fees is hilarious, kinda like those who used to convince themselves that Microsoft really *wanted* Windows to be bootlegged so they could sell you Excel and Word.

Now maybe they haven't got you because you are small potatoes and lucky enough to have not been reported (usually from competitors), but don't delude yourself into thinking they are winking at you and don't really care. Or at least don't get too reliant on your Ebay income.

I think the teacher needs to take a few more classes.

You presume I only have one account, with this user name.

Please. :rolleyes: I have clients, big guy. Zillions of them. Dozens of accounts. I do this professionally, Mr. Bargain hunter.

Blather on - by all means. The more you talk, the more you prove my point.

Talking with you is like watching new day trader who's made a couple of bucks trying to go toe-to-toe with a guy on the floor of the exchange about the best way to position his portfolio. I mean, want to look away, but I just can't...

Oh the humanity...

---
Ken

undefined:
I'm with you on the insane reserve price fees. I can't believe anyone still uses them!

I actually just bought a notebook on eBay thanks to a user who set a reserve. The irony is that the reserve was about $250 less than the notebook is worth based on similar sales, but a reserve price + poor picture = bargain. Contacted the seller on his third time listing the notebook and asked if I bid it up to his reserve if he'd close the auction. Got the notebook for a heck of a good price! I feel bad that he had to pay at least twice for listing fees + reserve fees.... :D

Yeah - there are always treasures there. eBay has always been a good place to find the treasure. The tools they've put in over the last few years, and the fact they've just been around for 10+ years has made it harder and harder to find the good stuff.

Its out there, for sure.

Wanna meet a slice of humanity - you need to try to get to eBay Live sometime. Its the annual "trade show" they hose. Oofah. What a slice. Its pretty spooky.

The internet is the biggest thing to happen in my lifetime, and eBay is the biggest thing to happen to the internet. I love it.

---
Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom