Crapola!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It says the seller ended the auction early to sell to the highest bidder at the "current price"... hee hee. A newer feature on eBay.

eBay is the home of the side deal. If you're just bidding on stuff and not sending the seller an eMail with an offer to take the item off line, you're paying too much and waiting too long for everything.

This bidder probably sent a note to the seller with an offer, the seller bit it up until they were high bidder, then the seller shut it down. I'm not 100% sure, but that's how these usually go.

I do it all the time. If you don't want to wait for the auction to end, have the cash now and a strike point in mind, use the "ask seller a question" button and float the offer. You never know.

I "win" stuff all the time this way. Why duke it out with the other bidders? Just go to the buyer and appeal to their sense of urgency and wave some cash at them. It often works.

eBay so rules.

---
Ken

I generally like to email the seller of auctions I am interested in and try to negotiate a deal that way. Then again, to comply with eBay requirements I ask the seller to relist the item with a buy-it-now at the price agreed upon. If there aren't any bids, and the price is fair, many sellers will bite. I do not buy from sellers that try to upsell me on an open auction bidding (ie: "Hey, you can buy it for $xx. I'll close the auction early and you just pay me that price") because I lose the protection from eBay/Paypal in case the seller tries to screw me. If they offer "Hi, I'll put a buy-it-now on the auction for $xx and you can just buy it" I'm usually inclined to do so.

bvmjethead:
I was watching this thread, and just completely dropped the ball. Only one bidder. I should have sniped it......

Doesn't mean you would get it for $605. His proxy bid may have been $800.

Mo2vation:
It says the seller ended the auction early to sell to the highest bidder at the "current price"... hee hee. A newer feature on eBay.

eBay is the home of the side deal. If you're just bidding on stuff and not sending the seller an eMail with an offer to take the item off line, you're paying too much and waiting too long for everything.

This bidder probably sent a note to the seller with an offer, the seller bit it up until they were high bidder, then the seller shut it down. I'm not 100% sure, but that's how these usually go.

How does this work exactly? If you are the high bidder why would the seller agree to end the auction early? He already has your commitment, he has nothing to lose and everything to gain if someone else bids it higher.

Or do you mean offer before you bid? I guess I always assumed that if a seller wanted quick cash or had a strike point then he would have provided a Buy It Now option.

I'm a bargain sniper and get a lot of steals but you gotta be prepared to lose a lot of auctions. I'm trying for a Olympus SP-350 right now and my last 7 snipes have failed but I'm gonna get it eventually. I like to look at the Completed auctions to see the lowest prices an item goes for and then shoot for that as a maximum.

I would not have bid on that auction. I never believe that crap about "only used once" or twice or whatever. And the seller has no feedback history.

DawgDiver:
Wow.... whoever bought that stole it!

On Ebay, it's more likely the person who sold it stole it.

ReefHound:
I would not have bid on that auction. I never believe that crap about "only used once" or twice or whatever. And the seller has no feedback history.

I once had no feedack history.

Not everyone is out to get you.

bvmjethead:
I once had no feedack history.

Not everyone is out to get you.

No but I'll let others take the test flight.

Back
Top Bottom