Cramps with Twin Speed Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minirova

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello Everyone,

I bought a pair of Scubapro Twin Speed fins when taking my entry level classes into Scuba. This was around a year ago and it seems like I'm always having a lot more cramps than anyone in my class. These fins seem to be kind of stiff, and i'm unsure if thats the reason or if theres some health thing like eating bananas I can do to fix the problem. Does anyone have some feedback as to if it's the stiffness of the fin that is causing this, and what I can do to fix the problem w/o replacing the fins? Does anyone else have these problems with these fins?

Thank you,
Greg

there are lots of things that will effect the amount that you cramp
1) fitness
2) hydration
3) potassium and other electrolytes
4) kicking techique
5) fin design

generally in that priority order. if you make the adjustments in that order you should hopefully find the solution for you. most people find it easier to try different fins than it is to get in better shape and fix all the other issues. Although eating bannanas and drinking lots of Gatorade will help it will not fix the underlaying issues of poor technique and strength (or lack thereof).

if you are looking for a recommendation on the best anti-cramp fins out there, the general recommendation is to get and use ForceFins. Funny looking or not, they rock.

I agree with messier... and am have a stack of Force Fins.
Good Luck,
O

Thanks for the info Meesier. I'm going to see if I drink more water than normal if it will cut down on the amount of cramps I have. Thanks very much!

Hello Everyone,

I bought a pair of ScubaPro Twin Speed fins when taking my entry level classes into Scuba. This was around a year ago and it seems like I'm always having a lot more cramps than anyone in my class. These fins seem to be kind of stiff, and I'm unsure if thats the reason or if theres some health thing like eating bananas I can do to fix the problem. Does anyone have some feedback as to if it's the stiffness of the fin that is causing this, and what I can do to fix the problem w/o replacing the fins? Does anyone else have these problems with these fins?

Thank you,
Greg

In addition to what has already been suggested (hydration, higher potassium level) you should also consider magnesium.

I read a very good article provided by the NAUI Course Director at my LDS. It suggested getting more magnesium in the diet. I get additional potassium from tomato juice (don't like bananas) and the magnesium from a magnesium supplement I take with the tomato juice at breakfast.

I used to get cramps quite frequently and now I very seldom get cramps. I will take a look to see whether I scanned the article into a PDF document.

I own a pair of ScubaPro Twin jets also and get cramps in the sides of my feet where foot arches.....I think it could be the stock strap that comes with the fins....I wonder if the spring straps would alleviate a little pressure on the foot. Where are you getting your cramps? In your feet also?

Michael Sapp

Sigh. Potassium, in healthy individuals who are NOT on diuretics and who consume a normal diet, is almost NEVER abnormal enough to cause any kind of muscle cramping. This is simply a very widespread old wive's tale.

On THIS page are several links to excellent articles on cramps in divers, and what to do to prevent them.

Last edited:
Sigh. Potassium, in healthy individuals who are NOT on diuretics and who consume a normal diet, is almost NEVER abnormal enough to cause any kind of muscle cramping. This is simply a very widespread old wive's tale.

On THIS page are several links to excellent articles on cramps in divers, and what to do to prevent them.
The link does not work - I more often get cramps when diving in cold water and rarely in warm so was hoping there was an explanation. However, I get cramps in the same muscles in the middle of the night on occassion so I suspect it is something specific to my body.

Thanks, USBB. I also fixed the original link.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom