Cramps in feet after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WendyCayman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been getting cramps in the bottom of my feet after diving recently. I use a much older version of the Mares Avanti Quarttos. Someone suggested that it could be because the begin of my kick is too strong, but I usually frog-kick more than flutter-kick but I use both depending on what needs accomplishing. Otherwise, I take my vitamins! So, I doubt its something down that route.

Thoughts? If you can think of something I can try to change then perhaps I can cure these cramps!

Try oral rehydration salts powder in water on a diving day and see if it makes a diff...

Sent from my GT-N7000

Have you always dived those fins? I not they might be tight around the foot? Colder water and thermal protection could also have effect on hands and feet. Try a different fin stroke.

Most likely the footpocket is too tight oon the widest part of your foot,,, maybe try a thinner boot or possibly you are using a boot with a ridiculous thick and wide sole? Why manufacturer's think this is compatible with a fin foot pocket baffles me,,

I have always used these fins! Since before I even dove. Ya, perhaps its a thermal thing. I was thinking now, I dove yesterday in 8C but I used socks as well, no cramps. Today was 16C and no socks, but cramps. Its not an every dive thing but its been more regular in the cooler waters.

As far as my bootie... I'm not sure! The foot pocket in the fin is large. I never struggle to get my bootie in, so that makes me think that its too wide. I'll re-exam that once I get in tomorrow.

I get these all the time, same with cramps just below my hip but those are usually from what I've noticed dependent on a position. Do yours subside if you stop moving when you get them, are you able to massage them out during the dive? How good is the seal on your boots, do they have high-water flow? Your feet might just be getting a bit too chilly and the only thing they can do to keep warm is constrict the muscles and lock up.

I never notice them during the dive. Its always afterwards and I can't even stretch them away. I've been out of the water for 10 hours and still feel them there.

Do you stretch before hand? If not so I'd give it a go. What could happen is that you could be tight prior to diving, and then cold water immersion could exacerbation the issue.

70 minutes in 12C and no cramps. The body is a mystery. I guess its not an obvious answer because it could be so many things. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone!

I remember this problem! I seemed to unconsiously clench my foot on every stroke, apparently because I felt like the fin would otherwise fall off (it wasn't actually loose) or that it was a necessary part of making the fin move. My undersoles would be sore after every dive.
In time it went away. It's possible that my undersoles got strong enough to stop being sore, but I think switching to shorter fins made me feel less like I needed to flex my whole foot to make the fin move.

Back
Top Bottom