Cracked hose question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i appreciate what you are saying but if I am incompetent enough with a pony that I don't know to have the tank open, I have no business using it in the first place. It would be about the same as my handing the primary upside down...

Please do not think that I was trying to call you incompetent! I am just saying that unless you were just breathing from a reg yourself, you can not be 100% sure that it is functional. Tank valves can and do accidentally get rolled off, exhaust valves can get folded over when entering the water, and a few other things to compromise the integrity of the regulator.

Halocline is correct it is not a standard inflater hose, I believe they increased the diameter for increased air flow.

If you do just replace the hose, consider a slightly longer one to decrease the pull on the hose, if that in fact is a problem. I used one of these "air 2's" on a jacket until I switched to a BP/W, I was considering moving it to the wing, but haven't yet.

Bob
-------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

i appreciate what you are saying but if I am incompetent enough with a pony that I don't know to have the tank open, I have no business using it in the first place. It would be about the same as my handing the primary upside down...

....deleted....

just read DSix36's later post...sorry Lisa posted before I read whole thread.

Last edited:
I would not bring a pony into the discussion at all, personally. I still think you should have a standard set up with 2 second stages. Believe me if you ever encounter a real OOA diver, the 2nd stage in your mouth is likely to disappear in an instant. Then if you have a bungied alternate, you dip your chin, smile, and you still have access to the air in your primary tank. There is one thing that is certain; OOA divers, especially untrained recreational divers likely encountering their first dive 'emergency' will be unpredictable in their behavior....actually one other thing, they'll move really fast to get some air.

Pony use is a different world IMO. Once you start removing safety features from a standard recreational set up (or alter the dive plan) because you have a pony, it's my opinion that you've just increased the risks, not lowered them. But, that's just an opinion.

Solo divers will frequently dive with one 2nd stage and a pony, but it's presumed that they will never share air.

I would not bring a pony into the discussion at all, personally. I still think you should have a standard set up with 2 second stages. Believe me if you ever encounter a real OOA diver, the 2nd stage in your mouth is likely to disappear in an instant. Then if you have a bungied alternate, you dip your chin, smile, and you still have access to the air in your primary tank. There is one thing that is certain; OOA divers, especially untrained recreational divers likely encountering their first dive 'emergency' will be unpredictable in their behavior....actually one other thing, they'll move really fast to get some air.

Pony use is a different world IMO. Once you start removing safety features from a standard recreational set up (or alter the dive plan) because you have a pony, it's my opinion that you've just increased the risks, not lowered them. But, that's just an opinion.

Solo divers will frequently dive with one 2nd stage and a pony, but it's presumed that they will never share air.

Ok, ok. I'm convinced! Looks like I am in the market for a new octo! Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the input.

I think I need to setup a Facebook account to solicit donations to support my scuba gear addiction!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom