Question cozumel with newbie junior diver and car Qs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agreed. But your call.

The $ sign is for MXN pesos in Mexico, but I'd still not take a car across the channel. I see some crossings limit passenger cars to two occupants as well. And don't expect English translations on signs, anywhere.

Be forewarned: Anything you leave visible in a parked car will be stolen, and you will be responsible for damages to the car. I hope that you are taking good trip insurance that covers medical since your home medical probably is no good out of the US, includes repatriations, and includes coverages for your belongings, but it's best to avoid losses. For any car you rent anywhere, take full insurance coverage from the rental company.

For spending, it's best to acquire pesos at a bank owned ATM, but that's another story. Have a great trip.
Two passengers for the $680 pesos. Additional passengers $60 pesos. What does it cost to get 3 people across on the people ferry?

Edit:Transcaribe is more expensive

3 people on ferry $30-35 us not sure but around that. do not buy rt as 2 companies run and gives you option on return. Buy tickets when you get to ferry no need to buy ahead of time. So Car ferry vs 3people cost is about a wash.

Ok the SKINNY on Car Rental in Cancun-Playa-Cozumel. U S A CAR INSURANCE NOT ACCEPTED IN MX
Do not believe advertised price. MX requires a min amount of liability insurance which usually is not included and is not cheap, then there is damage and collision waiver even more exp. Daily rate with all insurance $60-75 If you never drove in this area look out nationals do not follow rules, worse than NY cab drivers. (take video of every dent, scratch, discolored area, glass chip, and make sure you have spare and Jack. ) read elsewhere about rental scams.

If you don't have to stay in Cancun, either go directly to Ferry and cross over to Cozumel or get a room in Playa Del Carmen. Must stay in Cancun, take hotel shuttle from airport, shuttle back to airport and take Ado bus. Taxi from Cancun to playa to expensive, Other than highway street signs or route numbers are rare and lots of luck finding a reliable street map.

Ado bus is just 100 steps from exit door at airport, to Playa about $10 per person 1 hour drive. Bus lets you off 1 block from ferry in middle of tourist pedestrian walkway. Very easy

Ferry to Cozumel about an 50 min.
Taxi in Cozumel to hotels south of Marina 10 to $15 depending how far south.
Hotel south of Marina all dive ops will pick you up on hotel pier. no need for taxi or car. BTW parking at Marina is almost non existent, taxi to town in pm if you want $10-15 each way

return trip on ferry to playa. then do car rental there. return car in Playa take Ado bus to Cancun airport.
You can get a 15 year old car from Isis for about $45 include insurance in Playa to wander the Yucatan.
Driving where you have never been especially in this area is a challenge, getting out of the airport in Cancun can drive you nuts and highway to the car ferry is under construction.

If you don't have to stay in Cancun, either go directly to Ferry and cross over to Cozumel or get a room in Playa Del Carmen. Must stay in Cancun, take hotel shuttle from airport, shuttle back to airport and take Ado bus. Taxi from Cancun to playa to expensive, Other than highway street signs or route numbers are rare and lots of luck finding a reliable street map.

Ado bus is just 100 steps from exit door at airport, to Playa about $10 per person 1 hour drive. Bus lets you off 1 block from ferry in middle of tourist pedestrian walkway. Very easy
Good post overall, but since there are three of them, they can book a private van ride one-way about as cheap as the bus.

They do want to drive around the Yucatan some, but there are car rentals that be picked up in PDC and dropped at the Cancun airport. Just get a good map and detailed instructions on where to drop. On one of my trips, I approached Cancun from the west, and somehow found the airport in spite of all signs in Spanish and no such thing as phone guidance then, and I had a lot of trouble dropping. Google maps driving directions on your phone should make it easier iff the drop off location is correct on google maps. So many of those are wrong as they are the result of tourist input.

The car ferry is horrible. I live in Cozumel and avoid using it. The people ferry is much quicker and easier to use. When we need to run errands on the mainland we hire a taxi for that time. Understand, car ferry reservations are almost impossible to make. Even with reservations you will need to be at the car ferry pier 2 hours before departure, the ferry ride is 1 1/2 hours. Its a waste of almost an entire day. From the Cancun airport just get a private transfer to Playa or wherever you are staying. You don’t even have to book it in advance, there are plenty of choices just as you walk out of the terminal building. Flex Shuttle and eTransfers are 2 large companies. Rent a car in Cozumel. Fiesta and Darth Car Rentals get good reviews. Rent a car on the mainland and return it at the airport. Take all the insurance you can, Credit card insurance does not work well here. As far as dive companies, there are plenty to choose from. We have used Aquaholics and Scuba Tony. Either would work. There are dozens of others that are also excellent. Let whatever company you choose know exactly what your expectations are. Enjoy your vacation!

The car ferry is horrible. I live in Cozumel and avoid using it. The people ferry is much quicker and easier to use. When we need to run errands on the mainland we hire a taxi for that time. Understand, car ferry reservations are almost impossible to make. Even with reservations you will need to be at the car ferry pier 2 hours before departure, the ferry ride is 1 1/2 hours. Its a waste of almost an entire day.
This. On the Cozumel side I have seen more vehicles waiting in line for the ferry than could fit on it, and it's a long wait until the next one. It's not just cars; if you manage to get on the boat you will probably be sharing a ride with large trucks carrying everything you can imagine.

Military searched every car with dogs last time we used it.

1671332248837.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom