Question cozumel with newbie junior diver and car Qs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hi Gordon,
yes, it's our first time Yucatan peninsula. I will be in Mexico in Jan in a different part on a medical mission trip but no diving in Chihuahua :) We're renting a car at the airport (Cancun) and then driving it around.... Well, that's the current plan. I agree that we don't necessarily need a car while in Cozumel but it seems logistically easier to get a car upon arrival to Cancun and leave it upon departure as opposed to getting vans, taxies etc. and then ending up rending the car once we're done with Cozumel. I need to figure out what's cheaper and easier - our plan or what you're suggesting.
Getting a car back and forth across the channel may prove to be more of a problem to you than not having a car. The people ferries are fast, cheap, and leave every hour from central Playa del Carmen. The car ferry is slow, expensive, and makes only two or three trips a day from a point several miles south of Playa. Also, as someone else has said, a car rental place in Playa may not allow you to take their car across. From what you say it looks like it is your first trip to that part of Mexico; is that the case? If you don't know where anything is, navigation will be another challenge.

You don't need to rely on "the kindness of strangers" if you don't have a car; personal transportation on Cozumel in taxis is easy and cheap. I have been going to Cozumel for over 30 years and I have never rented a car except to go to the other side of the island from the hotel zone, and I don't even do that any more. I do not miss having a car at all when I am there.

Of course, YMMV and DSFDF.

EDIT: The new car ferry might be cheaper and/or faster.

The contract for the rental car may prohibit taking it to Cozumel on the ferry. Check in advance to find out if it is allowed. If not, your best bet will likely be to hire a van to get to Playa.
thanks for the tip, did not think of that. i called hertz in the usa and they did not see any restrictions. will have to call local Cancun hertz.

ouch.... just saw that it's >$600 one way with a car.... so definitely out of questions thank you all who questioned my plans.

I like having a car too, and almost always rent for a little while in Cozumel and on the mainland. However, depending on if the logistics work, I'd try to skip the car ferry, take a shuttle (perhaps Canada Transfers or Kalido Travel) from airport to Cancun hotel, and shuttle or bus (ADDO or Collectivo) to the *passenger* ferry in PDC.

Then I'd rent on Cozumel (suggest HTL Rentals or Isis) for your time there, and then rent from the mainland (perhaps Isis in PDC) for exploring afterwards. Will save hours of extra time each way, if that works for you. Depending on where you stay in Cozumel and who you dive with, you actually may not need a car much. When we come for a guys trip and stay in town we mostly walk to everything, and any taxis needed are pretty cheap. We do always like to rent at least 1 day to drive around the entire island, sometimes going to attractions that are farther from town (like Chankanaab park, Punta Sur park, or the San Gervasio ruins). Certainly up to you -- just my thoughts.

Thats pesos

Skip the car in cancun
Relax and enjoy your trip as soon as you step out of the airport.
Use a private van to take the family to the passenger ferry in Playa.
Stop along the way at an OXXO for your favorite refreshments.
Ask for a drop off by the Tricycleros.
Tricycle porters who will take you and your family directly to the ferry entrance and the correct booth to buy one way tickets for the Next Departure.
When you get to Coz, take a taxi to your accommodation and get a rent a car for your time on the island.
While on the Island make reservations for a rental in Playa that you can return in Cancun if that was your plan.
This will be easier on you than the car ferry for your first time.
It takes all of the hassle out of your arrival.
However, if you want the simplicity of getting the car one time and settling in for the duration of your trip, the car ferry works just fine.
Agreed. But your call.
ouch.... just saw that it's >$600 one way with a car.... so definitely out of questions thank you all who questioned my plans.
The $ sign is for MXN pesos in Mexico, but I'd still not take a car across the channel. I see some crossings limit passenger cars to two occupants as well. And don't expect English translations on signs, anywhere.

Be forewarned: Anything you leave visible in a parked car will be stolen, and you will be responsible for damages to the car. I hope that you are taking good trip insurance that covers medical since your home medical probably is no good out of the US, includes repatriations, and includes coverages for your belongings, but it's best to avoid losses. For any car you rent anywhere, take full insurance coverage from the rental company.

For spending, it's best to acquire pesos at a bank owned ATM, but that's another story. Have a great trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom