Cozumel what to expect now

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It helps to not have cruise barges dumping sewage along with that from the ill planned resorts.
I hear you, but I think based on the studies for the SCTLD, there was plenty of reason to think issue are coming from south of the island altogether as well.

We saw 3 small black tip reef Sharks at Cedral Mountains and 2 on Palancar Caves the first week of October. Others on our boat said they saw 9 the day before at Caves.

Also heading there in November, looking forward to small crowds although I guess cruise traffic is picking up. Was in Greece a few months ago and it was almost business as usual.

I hear you, but I think based on the studies for the SCTLD, there was plenty of reason to think issue are coming from south of the island altogether as well.
The North Atlantic Gyre does push water from Venezuela, then all of Central America towards the island, but I'd like to see the cruise boats sunk and the resort's systems improved.
it was almost business as usual.
It seems that way in downtown San Miguel except for half of the locals wearing masks. It certainly seems that way here with even a nearby hospital sponsoring a mass-spreader party. I'm staying masked, avoiding crowds, and getting my booster in an hour and a half.

Oh, I heard something about that. Where are they?

Few years back we followed a group of babies from the Chakanaabs all the way south through the Columbias over months. It was VERY cool....
Yesterday there were 8-9 at Palancar caves and a smaller group (same?) on Cedral wall. They were deeper than us on both dives and out to the channel side (~130 fsw on Palancar caves).

Oh, I heard something about that. Where are they?

Few years back we followed a group of babies from the Chakanaabs all the way south through the Columbias over months. It was VERY cool....

The DMs told me they were born in the Palancars during the closure. Now that divers are showing up they have scattered looking for a new home. So people are seeing them all over because they are wandering.

Everyone I talked to who saw them last week saw them in the blue off the walls/reef at ~100-120ish.

After I saw them the first time, I spent the rest of the trip with an eye on the blue but didnt get lucky again.

It helps to not have cruise barges dumping sewage along with that from the ill planned resorts.

This is a popular but misguided myth. The reefs were terrible in May 2021 yet cleared up quite a bit by last week. Since Cozumel was closed and there were no one at the resorts and the ships were not going, I think we have to stop blaming every problem on them.

There is a nutrient source coming from South of Cozumel that is the source of the issue.

This is a popular but misguided myth. The reefs were terrible in May 2021 yet cleared up quite a bit by last week. Since Cozumel was closed and there were no one at the resorts and the ships were not going
Which must have been how long it took for the barge and resort damage to clear.

I have never been... heading out next month to see. Water qaulity is always an issue in quickly developed touristed areas, had and still have the issues in FL but at least there is an effort to control development and waste. Have sent a lot of time in SE Asia and that is just raw sewage pumped off the mainland into the ocean. Covid gave everywhere a breath but it will return to normal I expect.

Which must have been how long it took for the barge and resort damage to clear.

Reefs were fine in Nov 19. Covid hit in Mar 2020. Reefs looked terrible in May 2021.

You cannot blame resorts for nutrient overload at Palancar/Columbia and cruise ships for nutrient overload when they were not running.

Its coming from somewhere else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom